Exercise & Fitness Community
umbilical hernia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

umbilical hernia

I am a 60 year old women athlete. I  completed a 1/2 ironman in May . I have a small umbilical hernia. There is no pain, but when run my hand across by stomach above my belly button, it sticks out. My doctor wants to "keep an eye on it" and check it again in 3 months. Can I continue with weight training, swimming, running, and bicycle riding? The doctor seemed extremely vague about what training I could continue.  Is there anything I can do to keep from having surgery?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,

I think it will be best to avoid weight training as lifting weight will put a strain on already weakened abdominal muscles and make the symptoms worse.
Also please remember it is easy to repair a small umbilical hernia, sometimes delay can lead to larger hernias which may be more difficult to repair. Do keep us posted!

Blank
I had an Umbilical Hernia Repair done 9weeks ago. I've had 2 infections since then and a CT scan done with inconclusive results if there is a new hernia or just scar tissue at the site. I've been cleared to pick up my 25lb daughter and was wondering what are signs that I've overworked or injured the site....i have what looks like a dark blood blister that hasn't swelled our popped up at the very bottom of the surgical incision that just showed up today.
Thanks for any advice given.
Megan
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Exercise & Fitness Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949