Exercise & Fitness Community
uric acid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

uric acid

Dear Sir,
i had under gone for a long term medication for a period of 3 years for IBS. the first 6 months its a course of Steroids ( omnacortil 10 mg ) and after that its an anti depressant ( Amitriplyne 10mg for 2.5 years ). Because of this, i supposed to check my kidney functions  once in 6 months. All the medication stooped before 1 year.  now i checked my kidney function test, uric acid : 7.5 and creaitine 1.1, and blood urea nearer to 42. im affried because of this counts. please tell me if i need to check anything more? does its belongs to Kidney diocese ?? kindly send me reply  

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi, the increased levels of blood urea nitrogen and uric acid may be due to some damage caused to the renal tubules as a result of the drugs you have used. Steroids are usually known to cause such abnormalities. But these functions are reversible and you should get better after the side-effect of drugs is over. I would suggest you to see your doctor to co-relate the reports with the medication chart. If this is not due to drugs then there may be some underlying cause in the renal system which needs to be evaluated by proper Blood work and radiological investigations. All the best.