Exotic Pets Community
5 month ferret kit heart disease?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your exotic pets!

5 month ferret kit heart disease?

I AQUIRED A KIT @6WKS OF AGE.HE SEEMED NORMAL EXCEPT FOR SLEEPING ALOT UNTIL ABOUT A MONTH AGO.HE BEGAN COUGHING,AND BECAME WORSE SO WE TOOK HIM TO THE VET.THOUGHT HE HAD A UPPER RESP. INFECTION,TREATED W/ TRIBRISSEN,HE CONTINUED DETERIORATING,SO I TOOK HIM TO A DIFFERENT VET WHO DID AN X RAY.IT SHOWED AN MODERATE HEART ENLARGEMENT&SEVERE LUNG DENSITIES IN THE CAUDAL LUNG FIELDS.HE WAS STARTED ON FUROSEMIDE .15ML AND SHOWED MARKED IMPROVEMENT WITHIN 36 HRS.AN ECHOCARDIOGRAM WHICH SHOWEDNO SIGNS OF CONGENITAL HEART DISEASE&NORMAL LEFT ATRIAL SIZE..HE IS STILL GOING DOWNHILL, FUROSEMIDE IS NOW .25ML. EVERY 12 HRS&ADDED ANELAPRIL .15ML 1X 24HRS.I HAVE HAD HIM TO 3 DIFFERENT FERRET VETS AND 2 REFERRAL/ANIMAL HOSPITALS,AND NOONE HAS EVER SEEN A FERRET THIS YOUNG W/ HEART PROBLEMS.NOW TODAY HE BECAMEMUCH WORSE,SEVERE COUGHING,RESPIRATION 130, BELLY BREATHING,SEVERE AGITATION.I GAVE HIM HIS REG DOSE OF FUROSEMIDE PER THE VET TIL I COULD GET HIM IN.BY THE TIME I GOT HIM THERE HE WAS MARKEDLY BETTER.HELP!!!NOONE CAN HELP ME,OR FIGURE OUT WHAT'S WRONG.THE MEDS SEEM TO HELP TO SOME EXTENT,BUT I CAN'T LEAVE HIM LIKE THIS W/HALF A LIFE&I'M NOT READY TO GIVE UP YET!!CAN ANYONE HELP?
Where did you get this kit?  Not that I recommend EVER returning a kit to a pet store as more than likely if its returned to the pet mill, it will be put down.  However, there's a chance they may pay for vet expenses if you go to their vet.  Something to consider and sounds like you need to check another vet.

Or, is this from a breeder?  If from a breeder you need to talk to them ASAP as this could be a genetic disease and this breeder is putting all other kits in jeopardy.  If the breeder continues, please see an SPCA or shelter who can help this breeder take responsibility for her breeding standards.

Otherwise, I suggest you consult the FHL, Ferret Health List.  You can email this into them and get a lot of experienced help.  There are ferret vets as well as many ferret shelter/rescues on that list who may be able to help you more.  Google it and join up ASAP, respiratory conditions in ferrets deteriorate fast.

You may need to do whats best for your fuzzy even tho it may break your heart, you may need to make the decision for him.