Exotic Pets Community
Chinchilla amputation

This forum is for questions and support regarding your exotic pets!

Chinchilla amputation

Hi, my chinchilla, Screetch, had an emergency amputation of his right hind leg approximately one week ago. He remained in vet care until three days after the surgery. He came home with antibiotics and needing to be force fed. My question is two fold. First, will i need to supplement "good" bacteria, to replace those destroyed by the antibiotics? Secondly, should i allow him to run on his wheel, which seems to lift his spirits, but I am afraid my damage the area of amputaion that will have exposed stitches for another three weeks. So far, the area seems undamaged (femur amputation, so mid bone), and the stitches are silk so are unlikely to catch. But I have read that chinchillas rarely show pain, and I am worried that where I think he is enjoying his wheel, that he may be trying to demonstrate a lack of pain? I may be paranoid, but after nearly 1000$ for the surgery, I really dont want him to need a return visit to the vet that I cant afford yet. So looking for some advice. Thank you.
Those are questions that should have been covered by your vet. Antibiotics can mess up the gut flora and a bit of probiotics probably wouldn't hurt. As for the pain management, did they recommend anything or send home any pain meds? And activity after surgery is usually restricted for at least a week. In the case of an amputation of a major bone like the femur, I would think it would be even longer. Can you call the vet and ask the questions without charge?
They disnt give me pain meds for him, and i will call about the probiotics. They actually told me to not limit his exercise, the form they gave me stated he was capable of any exercise. But it makes sense to limit it, as you say. I was just worried about him being "depressed" by the limitation, for lack of a better term.
How is your Chinchilla now?  Was it worth having the surgery?  I am going through it now.  My Einstein has a fracture on his left hind leg that cannot be fixed.  Will he be as loving as he was before the amputation?  Was yours the same after he healed?  It is a lot of money and I would hate to lose him but if he isn't the same it would be like I lost him anyway.  I am so confused.  Please get back to me with any advice you have.  TY
                                                                 Einstein's momma