Exotic Pets Community
I Dont Know Why My Rat Is Doing This. Help Please!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your exotic pets!

Okay, I have two pet rats.  One is Olive, the other Margaret.  Now the last few weeks Margie has this thing where she keeps licking the roof of her mouth frequently during the day.  Before and after eating, after waking up, before and after drinking.

She isnt choking or anything, but I want to make sure my little rattie is okay.  I've only had her 6 months, she was just a baby when I bought her.  She's still very playful and she still eats and drinks her favourites. I just havent seen a rat do this before.

I've tried asking this on Yahoo Answers and no one really gave me an answer, so Im hoping someone here can help me.  Is Margie alright or is there something wrong I dont know about?
Licking the roof of her mouth? You mean her tongue is going in and out like she has peanut butter stuck on the roof of her mouth? We've all seen funny videos of dogs doing that. I'll guess you didn't give her peanut butter.

It could be an injury in her mouth or she could have some kind of yeast infection (also known as thrush). That will cause whitish patches in the mouth and can cause quite a bit of discomfort. It also won't go away on its own. Would you be comfortable looking in her mouth? When I do that with an animal with big teeth (lol) I use a pencil or some other thing to ease behind the upper front teeth and then gently press upwards to open the mouth. You have to be ready to take a quick peek and be in good light so you can see. They can wiggle out of the position very quickly. I often have to check squirrel mouths to look for injuries or check for shock. I know how squirmy they can be.

If you just can't catch a peek, then take her to the doctor. Especially if it's been going on more than a couple days. You said it's been a few weeks. Whatever it is, it's not clearing up quickly like a little scratch would do.