Exotic Pets Community
My savannah needs help!!!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your exotic pets!

My savannah needs help!!!!!

I've had my savannah monitor for about a month now and he is the size of my hand. I feed him crickets right now. He has been acting normal until a few days ago. He went from roaming around his tank and basking and swimming to hardly moving. He stopped pooping in the water and his poop is like full crickets. Like they aren't being digested. I checked him this morning and he was just laying on his log and when I went to check him his eyes wouldnt open and he just layed there. Wehn I picked him up he finally opened his eyes and just rested in my palm. When he realized where he was he got more energy and walked around but then just crashed  and he wouldn't move or anything until I touched him take a few steps then crash again. I went to get him crickets and he usually scarfs them down but it took him 5 minutes to finally get one down then he crashed again after eating it. He isn't going after them anymore.

I'm completely freaking out. I haven't seen him even go to the water bowl in a while. I have no clue whats wrong! My friend got a savannah the same time I got mine out of the same nest and hers died a month after she had him. He didn't show any signs except he didn't eat his crickets one day and died the next morning. he didn't lose weight or act different.

Does anybody know what may be going on?
I don't get to deal with reptiles very often - just the occasional weed wacked snake or a lost lizard. When they acted this way it was either being too cold or they were going to molt. Even our turtles will slow down when chilled.

Certainly your monitor could be sick but only a checkup by the vet will determine that. Check him for salmonella or e coli accidentally transfered to him. You might consider a doctor visit before it's too late.
Lizards and snakes are very sensitive to their surroundings.  If you have such na expensive lizard, and one that is going to grow very large, you need to read up on your chosen pet!  There are plenty of information websites out there, along with reptile forums, and plenty of books available!

All lizards need a heat lamp, not just the sun to keep their surroundings warm.  If you don't have a lamp or a heating pad-they sell them in pet stores in the reptile section- you really need to go buy one.

Also, I suggest you head to the vet asap if you haven't already.

Other precautions to take so you don't pass along any germs, is to always wash your hands before and after holding your lizard.  You can easily pass along bacteria that while safe for you, is harmful to him.  Please do more research before you buy a reptile again.