Exotic Pets Community
Wounded Chinchilla?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your exotic pets!

Wounded Chinchilla?

Hi. I have a chinchilla about 4 years old. Recently he's become uninterested in his food, and has stopped being active. I finally pulled him out of his cage to investigate and I found blood caked all over his paws and teeth. He won't eat treats or food that I give him, and I've searched his entire body to try to find the source of the blood but I'm unable to. Does anybody recognize this? What can I do? I can't afford to go to the vet with him. Please help.
If its a broken tooth, you might not have a choice to get the little guy vet care.  Sound like that could really be the issue.  But to make sure, clean him up.  I know they say not to get them wet, but do it slowly so you can really see through all that fluffy fur.  (I had a chin that got bit pretty bad by my rabbit) Then once you see a wound take care of it.  I found that bandages won't stick because of the fur.  I used liquid bandage or New Skin. But it will stink the chin a little when you put it on so be prepared for him to not like it.  Then just keep him warm with a heater and a towel while he's wet.  when you down, dry him good.  If he is still not eating get your hands on some Oxbow Critical care and syring feed him a liquid diet.  
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1608