Exotic Pets Community
lizard swallowed plastic!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your exotic pets!

lizard swallowed plastic!

my bearded dragon is spoiled, and we feed him applesauce along with crickets,worms, and fresh greens everyday (thats why he is HUGE, never seen one this big) but my mom was feeding him on a plastic spoon like normal, but he must have got excited and bit the spoon very hard and broke it, we tried to grab it out of his mouth but he swallowed it. it wasnt the whole spoon it was just a small piece, about the size of a thumbtack, which i know could still cause damage. he has pooped since then but no plastic.... anything we can do?...will he be ok?.... my mom is freakin out( Dr doo little lol)...please help...any advise is good
I just read some responses from the vet about similar problems. In one a cat ate part of a broken ornament. The cat was behaving normally, no blood in the stool, etc. The vet said to just watch for a few days but everything should be fine.

The next one a pet ate wire and net and then was very sick, not eating, pooping very dark stuff (possible blood in the stool). She said it was a medical emergency.

So it sounds like you should wait, watch and see if the item comes out the other end. If your dragon starts to act oddly at all, take him in to the doctor. I worry about any sharp little edges on the plastic piece that might puncture the bowels. Perhaps he's large enough that the spoon piece will lodge itself into a poo and slide right out the other end. I sure hope so.