Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
2 Questions about pterygium

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

2 Questions about pterygium

Hi,  i have 2 questions!!

I have pterygium in both eyes, but lately when i wake up in the morning my eyes are fully fully fully red and i feel like a film of grease or oil in my eyes, what is happening and how can i solve it.

I want to know what are the latest news about succseful pterygium surgery.

I use two drops of naphtears in both eyes everyday. And a docotr ask me to use trazidex (tobramicin and dexametason) for one week. Is it good?
your redness is most likely due to your naphazoline use, especially if you have used it for an extended period (2 drops/day for more than say 6 weeks).  i call that "naphazoline addiction".

those naph tears are ONLY intended for OCCASIONAL use.  like you have redness and you need to look normal for your WEDDING or something.  they actually CAUSE redness when used on a chronic basis.  you have to quit the naph tears cold turkey.  did the doc who told you to use dexamethazone also tell you to stop the naph tears?

pterygium removal is not a particularly invasive surgical procedure, but a lot of the time the pterygium returns.  the "latest" surgical removal procedures use a newer technique and medications to prevent regrowth...

http://www.harvardeye.com/pterygium.html
What can i do to quit the redness?

If i quit using naphazoline will my peepers look white again?

How can I know if  sunglasses have the necessary UV protection?
Do I have to buy those expensive sunglasses, like armani, prada moschinno, oakley etc, etc. to guarantee UV protection?
naphazoline addiction is not a nice thing.  if you quit the naph tears, you will actually look MORE RED for a few days.  then after a few weeks you'll start looking pretty normal again.  during those weeks the ideal thing would be to used CHILLED (in the fridge) over-the-counter artificial tears (aka lubricant eye drops)...say one drop in each eye every hour would be ideal.

99% of sunglasses are 99% uv protectant.  even the cheap ones.  no, you do not need expensive sunglasses.  if you are in the U.S, you'll actually have a very hard time finding sunglasses that are NOT uv protectant.