Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Adult with congenital cataract
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Adult with congenital cataract

Hello,
Thank you for taking my question.  I am a 32 year old adult female with a congenital cataract that was never removed.  My cataract is in my right eye, and it is very dense and large.  I have a very small amount of peripheral vision to the extreme outside of the eye.  I can see colors and make out basic shapes in that area.  The cataract is so dense I can not see through it at all.  I do not have any depth perception and can not "correct" for it.  Because of that I can not drive.

My question is this.  Would it be possible to have this removed and gain any kind of vision without problems like double vision?  I'm afraid I would not be able to focus both eyes together and would be left with more problems then I have now.  
Thank you,
Brenda