Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Alignment issue

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Alignment issue

Good afternoon,
I
this sounds like an oculr movement problem with adduction or abduction (depending one which eye goes which direction) like duane's syndrome:

http://www.revoptom.com/HANDBOOK/oct02_sec6_1.htm

yes, the prism just 'trick' your eyes...you are completely right.  but thats probably all you can do.  surgery as an adult is usually only indicated when the eyes are not aligned in 'primary gaze' or when you are looking straight ahead.  if you only get the 'wandering' when you are looking off to the side, it is unlikely that surgery will help ,either.
I would like to also add that when I cover each eye, I have full range of motion and vision in the eye I'm not covering. I've also not had any  incidents (that I know of) that may have caused nerve damage, ie.. head trauma, stroke, etc...
i see that you have posted the same question in both forums, with differing opinions/answers.  welcome to the world of medicine!  many docs have many different ideas on how to treat certain conditions.

i agree that a visit to a pediatric ophthalmologist is probably not a bad idea.  

the forum ophthalmologist stated the following:

"Prisms glasses do not work well on incommitant strabismus"

that is completely true.  i completely agree with that statement.  but guess what?  surgery doesnt usually work well in adults with incommitant strabismus, either.  but of course the surgeons will recommend surgery and the non-surgeons will recommend prisms.  both are viable options, neither is likely to work all that well in anyone over about age 8 IMO.

but a visit to a surgeon is not a bad idea.  you've tried the prisms and are not all that satisfied, now go hear the other side.  i'd be wary of any surgeon who promised he/she could fix this quickly and easily, however.  it is my understanding that surgery is not usually indicated nor successful in duane's syndrome and the like.