Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Astigmatism on my 7 months old daughter's left eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

When my daughter was 2 months old her left eyelid on the cornner next to her nose swalloed, I took her to her pediatric & she gave her an antibiotic ointment for 7 days. I applyed it to her eye but it didn't go away since now when she is 7 months so I took her to the ped opthemologist yesterday(March 21, 2007)she said it might be Hemangioma since she has one on her head & one on her back. So she recommended her for MRI. If the MRI was positive, she would give medication to shrink the Hemangioma. Then she examined her eye and told us she has also a high Astigmatism on her left eye and it looks like a football because of that swalloing eyelid and she has anisometropia. The Dr. said she might need spectacles or occluding the normal eye e.g. with a patch. Now my Question is: What we can do for my daughter to prevent Astigmatism to develop or make it stop? and what can cause the swallowing except the Hemangioma,and which one is worse? the Hemangioma or other thing? how can it be gone? Does the medication for shrinking the Hemangioma have any side affect? Does the MRI have any side affects for her? what are the do list and not do list regarding her eye condition? how long does it take for Hemangioma to go away? if it goes away is there any chance for my daughter's Astigmatism and anisometropia to get improved or reversed or at least reduced? How long does she need to wear glasses? and from what age?
Thanks for your help    
'What we can do for my daughter to prevent Astigmatism to develop or make it stop? and what can cause the swallowing except the Hemangioma,and which one is worse?'

if the hemangioma is causing the astigmatism, which it sounds like it probably is, then the 'fix' is removing the hemangioma.

sounds like the the hemangioma is causing the swelling as well..

which is worse?  i guess the hemangioma is probably 'worse', since its the cause of the other problem (astigmatism)

'Does the medication for shrinking the Hemangioma have any side affect?'

dont know what medicine she is taking

'Does the MRI have any side affects for her?'

no

'what are the do list and not do list regarding her eye condition?'

do get glasses and patch if your doctor recommends.  do use the medication as directed by your doctor.  dont ignore your doctor's orders

'how long does it take for Hemangioma to go away?'

dont know what medication she is on, nor size/density of hemangioma.  so cant answer this

'if it goes away is there any chance for my daughter's Astigmatism and anisometropia to get improved or reversed or at least reduced?'

YES

'How long does she need to wear glasses? and from what age?'

dont know the amount and orientation fo the astigmatism, so cant answer this

If the pediatric recognised my daughter eye hemnogiama when she was 2 months, was there any chance of treatment and prevent her eye Astigmatism?
yes
we got the MRI on my daughter and her opthimologist said it's a hemongima in her upper eyelid. she didn't do anything for treating my daughter Astigmatism which makes me worried. She believes we have to watch it & wait to shrink by itself which I don't get it if it didn't shrink by itself what would happen to her eye? this passing time with the potsis eyelid might make it worse. She didn't even give amedicine to shrink the hemangioma!!! Please make it clear for a very worried new mom, What is the solution for my daughter's eye? What doctors usually do in this case to get the best resalt? I don't want just wait to see my daghter is wearing glasses over nothing!
Thanks for your help