Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Blinking dots showing in vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Blinking dots showing in vision

I have floaters in both my eyes and have been to an eye doctor and they say I have perfect 20/20 vision and that there is nothing wrong with my eyes and floaters are normal, Im 27 years old. Lately I been noticing dots in front of my eyes that blink on and off in different places. They are like a dark brown and they blink on and off very fast. The dots are small, but noticable especially since they blink. This didnt happen all the time, it would happen here and there until this past weekend.

I went up north for the weekend to a higher elevated location. I had a very bad cold at the time and someone recommended I take medicine called Airborne, so I took some the day I arrived at the location. The next morning I took some more and around 10am I looked up at the sky and noticed thousands of little white dots moving everywhere along with dark brown downs blinking. It was very easy to see in the sky, they were everywhere! I freaked out big time. I told my wife and she too could see the white dots all over the place, she had a cold and took the same medicine I did. The white dots were small and didnt blink, they just moved around like tiny little cells.

We tried using Visine but we both are still seeing the white dots moving around and for me the blinking brown dots are seen more easily. We returned home yesterday and as of right now the white dots are still happening for both of us and the brown dots are still blinking for me. Could this be due to the altitude changes, or the cold/medicine? We also had blood when we blew our noses. Will this go away eventually?
no.  not altitude.  not medication.  not related to blood in your nasal mucus.  this is a totally normal optical phenomenon that literally everyone experiences.

Scheerer's phenomenon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

do not use visine for this.  no, it will not go away.  the more you "pay attention" to it and the more you think about it, the more you will train yourself to see it.  its no big deal and there is nothing that can be done to stop it.  

Thanks for the response. But why all of a sudden? Both me and my wife started to see this at the same time under the same conditions. We never saw it before, Im always staring in the sky to see my floaters and never saw the white dots.

Also does this explain the dark brown blinking dots I see as well? Or is this a different issue? The white dots move around but the brown dots blink on and off in different locations.
the white dots and brown blinking spots are likely the same phenomenon.  you're seeing white blood cells of various types (some larger and some smaller, some more translucent and some less) coursing through your retinal vasculature.

why all of the sudden?  dont know.  many people notice this phenomenon for the 1st time under the conditions you describe: blue sky, high altitude.  harder to see in the city with all of the lights and smog, etc and at lower altitudes, especially low altitudes with high humidity.

once you've "learned" how to see it, you can see it almost any time you look at the sky.  it can get hard to ignore.
For something that is "nothing" it sure is bothersome. But I can see it anytime, not just the sky. Even when my eyes are closed. I guess I learned to see it, even when I dont think about it. This is going to be a long life. Bad enough with these floaters.