Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Blister in my eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Blister in my eye

A couple of days ago I noticed what looks like a bump in my eye. I don't remember any rubbing or accident that could have caused it. I went to the Optometrist and he said it was a blister (clear liquid under the outer layer of the eye). He said that it should clear on its own, but that if it got worse he'd refer me to an Ophthalmologist.

The blister is round in the outer corner of my eye. It's about 4mm in diameter and 1mm deep, and it's clear/white. It doesn't affect my vision, but it feels uncomfortable when I blink. It also looks slightly red in the area.

It's been two days since I first noticed it and it hasn't changed. Should I worry about it, or just do as the Optometrist said and wait until it goes away on its own?

Other than a blister, what could it be? I've never heard of blisters in the eye, and nothing online pops up when I search for it.

Tags: irritable
no big deal.  if its clear, its likely a phylectenule:

http://www.revoptom.com/handbook/March_2004/sec2_5.htm

do not worry about it.  i cant think of a single case where a clear lesion on the surface of the eye turned out to be a big deal.  try not to rub it and take a "wait & see" approach.
I have the exact same thing.  OD referred me to ophthalmologist & he sid he could remove it or it might go away on its own.  I decided to let it go.  Initial treatment had been warm compresses to encourage circulation & reabsorption of the fluid-that didn't work.  Then tried a weeks therapy of Patanol-don't do it-very expensive-didn't work.  Then the referral.  I think it is getting smaller.  It doesn't bother me too much.
Quill
If the "blister" is clear it may just be a conjunctival cyst.  The treatment for that would be nothing unless it is causing irritation?  Are you having any irritation?  How large is the "blister?"
A related discussion, blister on the sclera of the eye was started.
A related discussion, eye blisters was started.
A related discussion, Eye Blister was started.