Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Blood Drainage from Tear Duct
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Blood Drainage from Tear Duct

My mother has had bleeding from one eye for the last few days.  For the two weeks prior to this, her eye has been watering excessively.  She has also been experiencing some headaches during this time period.  She has periodic CT scans due to chronic headaches over the past 15 years and just had one last Wednesday (prior to the bleeding).  The results of the scan have not come back by the neurologist yet and her opthamologist instructed her to push for the results on Monday.  She went in today for an emergency visit with another doctor (her doc was out of the state) and this doctor did not see any blockage in the tear duct.  They put her on some antibiotics in case of an infection in the meantime until Monday.  Based on these symptoms, what are some of the possible causes?  What should we ask her doctor on Monday or what tests should we push?
Related Discussions
dont know.  thats a strange one.  

something has to be wrong with her tear duct.  thats the only possibility i can think of.  yes, ask the doc on minday.  i would not consider this to be particularly emergent, just really strange.  good luck on monday
0 Comments
Blank
I had the same problem in early spring.  The bleeding continued daily for a full month.  Antibiotic drops were having no effect whatsoever. Before flushing my tear duct, a culture was done and to everyone's astonishment, it revealed that the blockage was caused by a yeast infection.  The bleeding stopped as soon as the procedure was done but the sharp zapping pain to the head  and the itchy burning eyes improved very slowly and are still improving.
Blank
A related discussion, bleeding tear ducts was started.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979