Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Bloodshot eye from poke

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Bloodshot eye from poke

My friend accidentally poked me in the left eye about 2 weeks ago, while there was some initial discomfort and swelling it went away in an hour. However, my left eye is still noticeably bloodshot in some areas. The area to the left of the iris and pupil is the most noticeably bloodshot area and the area directly underneath it is kind of pink.

I am going to see a doctor on Monday but I was wondering if this is permanent and if not, how long should it take to go away?
almost no "red eye" is permanent.  exceedingly rare to have "permanent" redness.

most likely a broken blood vessel in your eye (sunconjunctival hemorrhage).  no big deal.  if thats what it is, it'll go away on its own but may take many weeks (4-6 weeks?)

but yes, go have a doc look at it to make sure.  if you are not in pain, and do not have light sensitivity, and still see well...the chances of this being serious are slim.
I went to the eye doctor on Monday and my eye doesn't seem to be infected or anything. However, I have a question about something weird this eye is doing.

When I first wake up the morning, my left eye (the one I was poked in) is bloodshot while my right eye is fine. This will last for about an hour or so and then go away. Afetrwards, my eye will be fine except for a streak of blood vessels on one side of my iris and a pink area on the bottom part of my eyelid. This is how my eye usually is throughout the day, and then late at night it becomes pinker in color. My eye has been going through this cycle for the past few days now.

Is this a result of the poke I received, and if so, how long is this going to go on?