Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Broken Blood Vessel after eye surgery. How long?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hi! Nine days ago I had eye surgey to remove a "Pigmented Lesion" in my right eye. During the surgery they broke a blood vessel in my eye. So, half of the white part of my eye was completely blood shot red. Its gotten 50% better since then but for the last 3 days it has not gotten better. It looks exactly the same.Does this mean the red that remains is permanent? Will it ever go away? How long does a broken blood vessel usually take to clear? Is this normal?

Please help!
this is called a 'subconjunctival hemorrhage' and is very common in eye injuries and surgical procedures.

it is completely benign and will totally go away on its own with no treatment.  it usually takes about 4-6 weeks.  yes, 4-6 *WEEKS*, not days.
hi

The same thing happened for me when i had eye surgery on my right eye. and it took me more then a month to recover. Even the strong eyedrops could not help to disperse that black redness. eventually you will get rid of it.
I just had eye surgery to remove a pytergium and my eye is deep black/red between my tear duct and iris, I have a black eye and my eye is swollen. When will I start to look normal again. My eye doctor had told me this procedure was minor I didn't expect this.
I had a tonsilectomy about a week ago & my left eye was compleatly blood shot afterwords. I was told this is normal and sometimes occurs after surgery. Can I expect the same 4-6 week recovery period? Is there anything I can do to "speed up" the process? Is there anything aesthetically speaking that I can do? Should I see a doctor?