Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Broken Blood Vessel in eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Broken Blood Vessel in eye

Hi. I had food poisoining a few days ago. I thre up violently for hours and hours. I broke a blood vessel in my left eye. It is blood red where there should be white! I am very upset about it, as it looks awful. Will this deffinitely go away? Will I have it for the rest of my life? 2) I just finished a six month course of accutane two weeks ago. I know that bruises can take a longer time to heal do to the medicine. Will that effect my healing time? How long do these typically take to heal and clear up?

Thanks in addvance for any light you can shed on the topic.
yes it will go away.  no you will not have it for the rest of your life.  i personally doubt that recent accutane use will have an affect one way or the other.

a subconjunctival hemorrhage usually takes about 6-8 weeks to clear up.  a long time.  

as an aside...my son (age 15) has one of these right now.  he's had it for 15 days and it still looks brand new...

so you'll look red for another 6 weeks maybe 2 months.  but it is certainly not permanent.  it will eventually totally resolve on its own.  there is not treatment of any kind to speed it up...  but "visine" will slow it down, so dont use vasoconstrictors.