Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
CPAP MACHINE

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

CPAP MACHINE

I am on a CPAP machine that sends pressurized air into nose, sinuses, eyes, etc. as well as lungs, causing painful dry eyes.
If the eye doctor plugs my tear ducts, will the high pressure air just blow them out ?

Has anyone else had eye problems while using a CPAP machine ?
wow.  that would be interesting!

i guess technically posbible to blow them out, but IMO unlikely.
I use a bipap machine and was told if there is not a good seal, the air can blow in your eyes causing dry eyes. Do you use a hunidifier with your cpap? This may help. You might want to ask your doctor for any suggestions also.
I am having problems with my left eye and the CPAP machine.
At maximum,12mm Hg pressure,after full ramp up from 4mm Hg, my left eye lid starts to "flap" with air coming out of what may be my tear duck.  Also, I feel a "bubbling" of air around my actual eye ball coming from internal under the eye ball and bubbling to the outside.  No one can seem to answer my question if this is normal or not.  It wakes me up several time a night when max pressure is reached.  Also, yesterday I experienced headaches (I never have headaches), severe sinus pressure, and nodded off many times during a all day meeting at work.
Last night I did not use the CPAP and I'm 1000% better with no headaches and no meeting sleep episodes.
Have tried contacting the Pulmonary Dr. but can't get a hold of him.  Any thoughts?
Your CPAP or BiPAP machine should never leak into your eyes. If you have a nasal mask then it should tightly seal around your nose. If you have a full face mask then it should tightly seal around your nose and mouth. If you sense it in your eyes, then you MUST tighten the straps. The pressure set on your machine will never be reached with the constant leak. If you cannot stop the leaking than you need to switch to a different size mask or different type of mask. There are all types and sizes out there. Don't stop until you get the right fit... it is important to your health if you have severe obstructive sleep apnea. If your straps are worn down and the velcro is worn out, then contact your home health care company for new ones. Your pulmonologist will never be able to help an equipment issue.

Hope this helps!

~L (Registered Respiratory Therapist)
A related discussion, CPAP eye damage was started.