Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Cataract Surgery, and Blurry Vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Cataract Surgery, and Blurry Vision

Five days ago I had "Rezoom" IOL put in my left eye. I still have blurry vision. Consulted with the doctor for the post-op and he referred me to a retina specialist.
My question is if unable to find/fix the problem, can the lens be removed? if so what are the difficulties to be encountered?
Thanks.
5 days is not enough time to be worried yet.  if your vision is still blurry in 6 weeks, then be more worried.  less than a week is no big deal.

did they tell you that you are experiencing macular edema or "swelling" in your retina?  that would be a reason to send you to a retina specialist...

but the short asnwer to your question is...yes, it is technically removable... but with great difficulty.  you and the surgeon are going to most likely want to leave it in there unless you just cant get any vision out of it...
Need more information. I doubt it is the lens. Why did he say you needed to see the retina surgeon? You could have some cystoid macular edema but he could also treat that. And,yes the lens can be removed but if you have some other things going on right now, you probably don't want to do anything, until you identify the problem and treat it. Let us know what your retina doc says.
Hi Camorillojohn,

Having the same problem.  Had Rezoom put in left eye the 27th of Feb, 2006.  The strange thing is that I can see totally clear, near, and intermediate.  But past 5 feet is totally blurry.  Am afraid lens prescription is not right.  Also, I knew about the possibility of halos at night, but my night time vision is psychadelic and almost impossible to drive. I have halos, starbursts, glare. Like looking into a keliedoscope. See the doc Tues.  Sure hope he can comfort me.  Right now am thinking I should have gone with the Traditional Lens.  Hoping it gets better for both of us.  I researched for months before finally making my decision and read nothing but good statements by the patients that received the Rezoom.  Am probably feeling just like you right now.  All we can do is give it time and hope things will straighten out.  Suppose to be a great lens.  Kathy
Hi everyone,

Since my post, my vision in the left eye seems to be improving slowly.  I am encouraged by this, and having a positive attitude. I forgot to mention that my Opthamologist did say after the "Post Op." that there is a possibility of Macular Edema, which seems to be the case with several people that had the same procedure like mine.I spoke to them and I was told that the vision will clear up in about a month.
Thanks for everyone commenting. I will report back after I see the Retina Specialist on the 14th.
I had ReSTOR lens in both eyes, 1/18 & 2/1 after cataract surgery.  My vision is very poor.  I am a paralegal and avid reader.  I cannot see clearly at all.  Reading is very difficult.  I am extremely sensitive to sunlight. The halos and glare at night are terrible.  My doctor says to wait to see if it gets better, but if I want them removed, it's best to do it "sooner than later."  I consulted another doctor and he said the ReSTOR lens will not get better.  My original doctor should have never recommended them for me.  I paid $5,700 for both eyes.  Will my vision improve so I can read without extreme blurry and foggy vision?
Bad Vision,

I so hope it will improve for you.  I am a nervous wreck too because of my blurry vision.  I had Rezoom put in my left eye 2/27/2006.  But everywhere I read, Restore is the best for reading.  So, maybe you are having swelling like the doctor wrote on the board. And hopefully it will completely improve.  I sure hope so.  I have the horrible halos too. DANG cataracts!
K-D- you are a lot different at this point compared to bad vision. You are only 6 days out after major surgery. Cataract surgery does not take long and is painless so everyone forgets it is surgery on a major organ and takes healing. 3 weeks is considered a fairly stable refraction. Hang in there. Talk to your doc and ask questions. Don't be impatient.
Be patient and use your drops. If you seek another opinion, only see someone who does ReSTOR and preferably ReZoom as well. When MDs don't use a product they have no personal experience with it and tend to be more negative about it. Choose someone who can give an opinion based upon their personal results. It does take more people time to adjust than others. It does depend on how close the MD hit the target on the power of the lens. Find out what your refraction is and post it. Most MDs feel that you can easily remove the lens, if needed within the 1st 4-6 weeks, so give it some more time.
Thanks Eyecu,  So, appreciate your kind assistance.  But I really have to think that the lens calulation is not correct because I can see so clearly intermediate.  And the doc did not do the refactive exam. A tech did.  Also, unbearable halos.  Look like hundreds of large pinwheels at night.   I really want this lens removed but do not know how much that would cost or how dangerous it would be.  If I wait it will be more dangerous.  Just sick about the whole thing.  Read the Rezoom was so good.  I have blurry distance and unbearable night vision.  Very depressing.
Thank you all for all your support.  I will give it 3 weeks and if no improvement, ask for it to be taken out. Could someone tell me if it is true that if you have the Traditional lens implant, you can not just use readers.  I was told that you could not see for 30 inches.  Yet, it sure seems like a lot of people that have the traditional lens just use reading glasses.  Why does my doctor say that you cannot see for 30 inches?????  I would not mind wearing reading glasses.  I just did not want to be stuck with bifocals all the time.  Could I have gotten by with just readers???
I don't know if this is the refaction but on my card it says, Diopter 17 OD
ot 13mm  og 6mm
You have an implant in a 17.0 diopter power. The other information has to due with the length of the implant and the optic size. I feel like you will end up fine with a little time. You can get a monofocal for distance and end up with readers but I still think the ReZoom can be right for you. It could be a little stronger power was used. It could be that your other eye is giving you problems working with your operated eye at this point. Your doc will find out what is going on and lens exchange does not cost you anything out of pocker to my knowledge if it comes down to that.
So, then with a Traditional lens, you can get by with just readers?  My doc said that with the traditional, I could not see for 30 inches. That sounded very disabling to me.  That is why I went with the Rezoom. This is a very prominent doc.  Why would he give me such information when I made it clear that wearing readers was no problem for me.  Yet, he said, "when your lens is removed, you will only be able to see either, far, intermediate, or near".  He said I could not get by with just readers.  He said I would have to wear bifocals.  And since I have never worn glasses in my live, other than to read, I went with the Rezoom.  The joke is that he said I would not be able to see for the first 30 inches. And now I can only see 4-5- feet with disabiling night vision.  And if readers was all I would have needed, this is one lousy tradeoff. I would have gladly gone with the readers.
K-D. we will get you in the right hands or get you taken care of. Give me some time to check your city out and find out who the big ReZoom Restor refractive docs are up there.
Eyecu,

I cannot thank you enough for your kindness. Thank you so much! Just being able to write to you has been so emotionally supportive to me.  But I have a doctor that is listed TOP DOC here.  ALso, listed in Best Doc in America.  I have total  confidence in his skills. And in the waiting room, all his patients are so happy, and can  see so clearly.  I am just very confused about seeing so clearly to arms length and then blurry, and being told it will be corrected with my non-dominate eye.  Right now, I cannot risk surgery on  that eye.  Even though it has a cataract, I do not have the "unable to see through vision" yet, with that eye, like I did with the one I had operated on. And I am looking through that eye for distance now.  I am sure your search will come up with my surgeons name,  He is an excellent surgeon.  The best here.  That is why I am so confused as to why I cannot see distance, when I have a TOP DOC, and all I read is that the Rezoom is best at distance and then intermediate, which is exactly what I wanted.  I would never trade not wearing reading glasses for not being able to see at distance from an eye. And to have it corrected with my non dominate eye just does not sound like it is suppose to be to me. Just am hoping and praying that it will clear up.  Sometimes when a person is so talented, communication skills are not at the same level.  And maybe this will get better.  It just would have been nice to hear it from the office. Again, and again, thank you eyecu!!
If your doc uses the ReZoom, then get him or someone on his staff to have the ReZoom rep come in and see you with the doc on your next visit. Everyone one wants happy patients and wants you to be happy.
Good advise Eyecu,

Will kept you informed on my progress, or lack of it.  Today when I woke up, for the first time, I noticed a small improvement in the distant vision.  I was so happy.  I thought there was hope. But it did not last.  And when I go from the outside into a store, complete blurr. Thank goodness for my other eye with the cataract.  May be brownish in view, but not blurry.  Will let  you know what the doc says next week.  You sure know about this subject and am so happy that I came across it on the internet.  Your concern, and compassion come through, and it is very comforting to me.  What a truly kind person you are!!!!!!!!! Not to mention highly intelligent.
Can anyone recommend an experienced cataract surgeon in the Glendale or Hollywood area? I am looking at the crystalens, but want someone who can help me with options. My biggest concern is that I have alot of allergies and my eyes always itch, and are "thick" in the morning until I rub them. I have put this off due to this allegy problem, but it does not quit.
Two years ago I suddenly developed a cataract, which in the last 2 weeks has gone to totally blind. before I could see enough to walk, but not drive, but now it is completely gone. And I am having a hard time driving at night especially with just one eye and that my non-dominant one. I drive @ 1 1/2 hours at least 4-5 nights a week. I also do alot of computer work and reading/hand writing for my job. Thanks
Hollywood California?
Kerry Assil, MD in Santa Monica. He is excellent and very kind.
Your post op refraction will be in your chart at the doctor's office. Ask him for it. That tells us if you are near-sighted, far-sighted, have astigmatism now. It changes during the first few days, weeks, so fluctuation is common. Were you near-sighted before the surgery?
Hi Eagle Eye,

I will try and get the info about the refraction next Tuesday when I go to the surgeon.  I do know that I was always told that I had astigmatism.  But I never had to wear glasses until after 40, and then just for reading.
I thought today, that for the first time, I was improving.  But is only when I face the light.  When I go into a store, total blurr.  And now I am looking at my webtv and can see it so clearly. But only 3 feet away is very  blurry, but only one light on in the room and night time.
Driving is not just an inconvenience, for me, it is life threatening.  I cannot do it again.  I was on a highway tonight and was driving through hundred of large bubbles with spokes in them.  Even the reflectors on the payment were large circles.  Parked cars had large circles on them.  No, good computor and reading is not worth this to me.  I want clear vision is all light and not live in a night psychedelic world.  Very, very, depressing. Thank you for you concern Eagle Eye.  I appreciate it very much!
Thank you for your advice.  The doctor who gave me the 2nd opinion does not use ReSTOR lens, but he uses Rezoom lens.  Although, he has removed the ReSTOR lens from 5 patients in less than a year.  My original doctor wants me to wait 6 more weeks until I decide if I can live with the ReSTOR lens.  That would make the lens in my eyes for about 10 or 11 weeks.  My vision is not improving, but worsening.  How can I find our what my refraction is?
Great improvement written on the "Mixed vision with Rezoom lenses." topic.  Thank all of you for you kind support.  It was very much appreciated!!!!! K-D
As I mentioned in my earlier post. I did go to "Retina Specialist" The Tech.injected a dye to see the Retina for swelling. After taking many pictures of the Retina prognosis is that the nerves were traumatized but no swelling to the Retina. The doc. suggested to keep using the drops (Zymar,Acular, and Fred Forte)and the vision will clear up. I do see an improvement daily. I have a 20/40 in my left eye,and able to see the Computer(30 Inches distance)without glasses.

One thing that got me curious is when the Doc. told me he doesn't see a MultiFocal "Rezoom" lens. when I was told that is what the operating Doc. put in my eye. I will ask the OD if he did use Rezoom. There is hope just give it some time.
Camarillojohn,

So, happy to hear of your improvement too!
You can find out your "refraction": by asking the MD or tech for it. It is the measurement they do in the office where you look through the "phoropter" - pronounced 4 op ter... and they say which is better 1 or 2 ,etc. The numbers they write down in your chart from the phoropter is your refraction. It tells us if you are nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism or combo. Very helpful info.
21, March. had my left eye looked at by the Surgeon. He gave me the phoropter test and said that I have 20/25 vision here are his readings, Refraction Left. -0.75 + 0.25 X 150. how does this relate to seeing far?

I can see fine close by up to 10 feet away, anything past that objects are still "Fuzzy" the doctor wants me to come back in 6 weeks Total time since the operation is 10 Weeks. He thinks my eye will heal by then. Has anyone had this same length of recovery period? and did the far vision get better? perhaps I am too anxious.

Thanks everyone for your replies and kind support of this group and me.
Great...your refraction tells me that you are a little nearsighted the -0.75 number and a a tiny bit of astigmatism +0.25 number. That is why you are fuzzy in the distance. It may get better as the weeks go by and healing continues. When you have the second eye done, the doctor can aim for a little more plus or closer to zero ( we call it "plano") or neutral. Then with both eyes open you will have good vision at all distances.
Again, give it time. I know it is hard but focus on how well your reading is!!! Also, after the healing completely takes place, there are things/ enhancements that can be done if you are still fuzzy in the distance.

Hang in there!
Eagle Eyes,
Thanks a million. I feel relieved off the anxiety after reading your remark. I am looking forward to have my right eye done when I get my Medicare in July.
The vision is gradually improving. Again thank you very much for the encouraging words.
Would someone please recommend a good surgeon that could give me information and an assessment as to the advisability of using Rezoom or Restore lenses for my cataract surgery? I live in South Orange County, CA
go to www.visioninfocus.com and go to find a doctor and type in your zip code. You should get a list of surgeons and you can do the same with restor.
HELLO, I HAD CATARACT SURGERY ON MY LEFT EYE 01/10/2006 AND A RESTOR LENS PUT IN.  FOR 2 MONTHS I COULD NOT READ OR FOCUS WITH THAT EYE.  I THOUGHT I HAD MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE. I KEPT PUTTING THE EYE DROPS IN AND FINALLY MY EYE SETTLED DOWN AND NOW I HAVE 25/20 IN THAT EYE.  I CAN READ AND SEE DISTANCE. IT IS WONDERFUL.  I AM SCHEDULED TO DO MY RIGHT EYE 04/11/2006.  I BELEIVE MY DOCTOR WAS CORRECT IN HIS ASSESSMENT THAT SOME PEOPLE TAKE LONGER TO HEAL. MY ADVICE IS TO PRAY HARD AND BE PATIENT. IT IS WORTH THE WAIT AND MOST OF ALL, GIVE IT TIME.
Hi everyone,

Just read the post by Pathayboy regarding the time it takes to recover. I'll have to concur with you. It has been Six weeks since I had my Rezoom ( Multifocal)lens and I am getting a good clear vision, However, I still see the 'Halo" around the oncoming headlights at night. A friend recommended to wear "Yellow Shooting Glasses". I tried it, but made a very small difference.

Have patience (K.D.) and your vision will be fine. 6 to 12 weeks.

Best of vision to all.
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone with the same problem that I was having.(Blurred Vision) that it did get better after 9 weeks since surgery, and I have no complaint about my "Rezoom" IOL and I hope KD you are doing well also.
3 weeks ago I had cataract surgery on my left eye, they put a rezoom lense in at maximum power because my left eye was described as +6, meaning it will be difficult to correct.  Well the surgery was on a tuesday, by friday I the eye was 100% crystal clear, and I could read to a level where my described eye became a -7, almost bionic.  That was the fantastic story, now the second eye.
2 weeks after my left eye was completed I went in for my second cataract surgery on my right eye.  During the operation there was a screw up, the nurse presented the new rezoom lense backwards to my doctor, who also hadn't noticed, she put the lense in only to notice it after she had let the eye close back up, what followed is probably almost a disaster.  My doctor had the eye reopened, and with a small pair of forsips lifted the lense and rotated and turn it over while inside my eye.  The unfortunately caused my eye to be held open by the speculum for a good 15 minutes longer than desirable.  The eye apparently under went a tremendous amount of trauma.
Although the swelling has gone done, the eye is totally blurry at this point, and as a consilation I got to purchase an additional ointment and drops at the nice price of $60.00.  Maybe you would think they would have made the purchaase for me, since the other eye drops are at %50.00 a pop also.

So how serious do you think this is????
You should end up being fine. There are always risks in any surgery and yours was minor and at least it was discovered at the time and corrected. Had they left it alone you could have ended up more over minused and not having the optimum correction. The increased manipulation caused a little more inflammation but they did the right thing. It sounds like they were up front and are truly trying to do what is best for you. Had they not, they could have let it go and then ended up going back in at a latter date for correction which would have even been more of a hassle. Plus, everyone likes to compare eyes and remember different things about each surgey. You could have ended up having more inflammation anyway. My step mom had great results in her first eye and some iritis in her second eye. It just happened and she end up great after a few extra weeks. Let us know is a few more weeks how it turns out.
A related discussion, Blurry after cataract was started.
A related discussion, RK incisions and Cataract surery was started.
A related discussion, blurry vision after cataract surgery was started.