Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Cataract surgery after an outbreak of shingles

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I have recurring shingles.  I ususally have an outbreak if I'm out in the sun or am under stress.  It's been almost two years since last outbreak.  I had Lasik a year and a half ago and I had to wait 3 months from most recent outbreak before surgeon would perform Lasik.  I'm meeting a surgeon tomorrow for consultation on cataract surgery.  Having just a little stress over worrying about making this decision, and son recently arriving in Afghanistan with military...naturally, I developed an outbreak of shingles over the weekend. I'm not sure what the cause and effect of shingles and eye surgery are.  The shingles always erupt along the nerves in my spine.  How does that effect the eye?  Didn't understand it when I had the Lasik...not sure I understand it now.  I REALLY want this cataract surgery and have been researching all avenues so I could make the right decision.  I have to time the surgery for June/July because of medical insurance.  Now what?  Is this going to ruin my chances for surgery??
.
1 Comment
shingles can manefest in your eye, and its nasty.  its called HZV keratitis and it can greatly complicate any eye surgery and its recovery.

i dont know what your surgeon will choose to do, but most of the ones i know would wait until this episode is over before performing cataract surgery.