Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Crystalens problem seeingnafter "tweaking" by DR

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had cataracts removed, Crystalens inserted on the left eye. I could see well, could read newspaper, etc..  Right eye surgery - Crystalens inserted - See well.  THEN left eye became a little blurry, scar was removed using "yag."  Week or two later, I looked at my left eye and it had dilated, not the regular round dialtion, but from middle to outside in a teardrop effect.  Ghost were showing, so Doc "tweaked" the eyes using traditional lasik.  Now I cannot read the newspaper, menus, or some other.  HELP.  Can anything be done to correct THIS?  Thanks.VR
well the teardrop dilation and the lasik/vision problems are likely unrelated.  2 separate issues.

if the teardrop dilation WENT AWAY, then dont worry about it.  a temporary sectoral dilation and innervation issue...not dangerous.  if it did not go away its likely some muscle or nerve damage from the cataract extraction.

as for the lasik/vision problems...sounds like the doc overcorrected your vision to see well at distance and at the same time made your near vision worse.  if it has been less than say 6 months then dont worry too much...everything could still be okay.

if it has been more than about 6 months, then no, i personally dont think there's going to be much you or anyone can do to restore the near vision in that eye.
The dilation was temporary.
The left eye was supposed to be for near vision and the right eye for distance.  Is there nothing that can be done for over correction?  I'm very angry that reading and computer work has resulted in a problem and require glasses.  I'm much more interested in my near vision than my distance, as nearly all day is used for reading and computer!  Can another crystalens replace the lens that's for reading?  I could just cry!    
yes, you could probably eventually have lens exchange if you are unhappy with the result after say 6-9 months post-op.
Thanks for your prompt reply, Dr RMP.  I'm more optimistic now that you've stated I might be able to have an exchange of implants to correct the vision.
A related discussion, Crystalens HD - Stereopsis Problems was started.