Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Cyst behind eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Cyst behind eye
Mother been told she has a cyst behind her eye creating pressure on eye ball which causes a dark spot in vision and small amount of pain and discomfort. Can anyone tell me is this dangerous, possible causes, cures (if any), and if can be cancer related? Thank you.
In 1999 I mentioned to my oncologist, whom I have been seeing for years (she is following up on a couple of "freckles" at the back of my eye) that my right eye was much larger than the left.  It has always been somewhat larger (and still is), but this time it had kind of a protruding look about it.  The oncologist reassured me, saying it was probably due to a cyst.  In her words: "It is probably a cyst - nothing to worry about."  (As it turned out, it wasn't a cyst, a Catscan showed it to be a brain tumour (benign). The tumour was removed a few months later and all went well, with no adverse reaction)