Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Dilated Pupil from Eye Allergy drops with contacts

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had to use eye allergy drops this morning, 45 minutes after I put my contacts in for the day.  The drops were Opcon-A (Naphazoline).  My pupils have become dilated.  SHould I worry?  THis has happened before once or twice. How long will they stay dilated?
no, do not worry.  thats a known side effect of that drug in some patients.  its even printed on the package insert.  it is totally benign and not harmful at all.  only annoying on your end.

those types of over-the-counter drugs are only to be used on an occasional basis.  no more than 10 consecutive days.  people who use them chronically can have some serious and permanent problems.
I don't think that it's a good idea to use eye drops while wearing soft contacts, because the drops can saturate the lenses.  My ophthalmologist used dilating drops on me once while I was wearing my lenses, and I ended up throwing them out the next day when my eyes dilated again.  Now I wait at least 30 minutes after using any drop before inserting contacts.
jodie:

that is not true for *all* eyedrops.  a study was just performed that says contrary to what was previously thought some eyedrops can definitely be used with contacts in.  the study was with patanol (Rx antihistamine) and "night & day" soft contacts made by ciba.
Thanks for the info.  I had always been careful about mixing eye drops and contacts after one bad experience.
A related discussion, dilated pupil with allergy drops was started.
A related discussion, dilated pupils was started.
A related discussion, concern? was started.