Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Drugs to Dilate Eyes
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Drugs to Dilate Eyes

I experienced as in another thread that dilation of pupils may last several hours.  Are there other compounds/drugs/something that causes the same effect without lasting as long? Does everyone use the same stuff?  It wasn't totally apparent to me, but does this dilation also affect focus (other than that caused by the wide aperature).
Related Discussions
yes, all dilation eyedrops affect focusing by temporarily paralyzing the muscle responsible for focusing (ciliary muscle).  it wasnt apparent to you b/c you must be nearsighted.  it is VERY APPARENT to people who are farsighted.  nearly temporarily debilitating for some.

the shortest acting drug is 0.25% tropicamide (a drug called paramyd).  it usually lasts 2-3 hrs in a brown eyed patient and 4-5 hrs in a very light blue eyed patient.  it also doesnt affect focusing as much as some other drugs.  i personally dont use paramyd b/c its expensive and i find that it takes too long to work and completely fails to work in some patients.  i use 1% tropicamide for most routine dilations.

but NO, most doctors do not use the same stuff.  there are probably 6 different combos of drugs that dilate a human pupil, and each practitioner uses what he/she thinks is best or necessary for the job they need to do.  for example if i want to accurately measure some children's rx's i use cylopentolate, which can dilate someone up to 48 hrs.  it all depends on what i'm trying to do.
0 Comments
Blank
A related discussion, Retinal Dilation drugs was started.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979