Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Dry eyes or Pink eye?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dry eyes or Pink eye?

It started on Sunday evening, A feeling like there was something in my left eye,Nothing was there, I went to bed and things were fine for a bit after i woke up, the feeling came and went thruought the day. This cycle continues until wednesday, both my eyes are now doing it. Thursday i wake up and my eyes are gunked shut. They hurt so bad at times, i cant even keep my eyelids open. It's hard to tell if they are just bloodshot or if it's pink eye. I was diagnosed with dry eyes in 5th grade(i'm 30 now), I dont have allergies, and my eyes have never felt like this before. It also looks like i may have a cyst type thing on my eyeball just outside the cornea, I think it looks like a spot, but it may also just be the way the vessels are more pronounced.My eye drops are not helping, whn they usually do, so i even bought some of the gel type drops, hoping that would help, but it doesnt. Is this something I can see my regular dr for, or do i need to go to an eye dr. Thank you for your time.
no...do not go to a "regular" doctor.  they'll just tell you that you have "conjunctivitis" (althought they almost never distinguish between the say 60+ different types of "conjunctivitis"), then they'll rx you antibiotics, probably sulfa-based (read: old school 1980's treatment).  wow, did i just reveal my personal bias?  oh well.

if you are a contact lens wearer, the following does not apply, and you need an exam asap.

it could be viral EKC or "pink eye", but you'd have to have been exposed.  do you have children under say 5, or work at a day care or elementary school?  and adult with viral EKC is pretty rare IMO.  if this is what it is (and only an eye doc will be able to tell), there is no real treatment.  some advocate IODINE swabbing, but its debatable whether this works or not.  i have never done that.

it could be allergies, and the "bubble" could be a phlectenule, or swelling from allergies.  this is a little more likely IMO than viral EKC based on what you describe.  an eye doc would or will put you on either steroid or antihistamine eyedrops, or both (but not antibiotics!)

it could be some sort of inherited congenital corneal problem like endothelial dystrophy, but i doubt it.

it could be dryness...

and finally, it could be about 60 more things.  too many to discuss here.

few things affect BOTH eyes simultaneously.  its not going to be fungus like in the news, or corneal abrasion or ulcer, etc.  but to find out what it is, you'll need an eye doc to look.
You can find the necessary information at :
http://www.wiseorb.com/articles-review-478-T-DRY_EYES%3A_THE_PROBLEM_OF_THIS_TIME%2E.htm