Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Dull pain, comes and goes above eye.

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dull pain, comes and goes above eye.
32 yr. old male, I do work on a computer all day and under some stress but who can quanitfy that. Heavy prescription, -6.5 each eye with astigmatism in right eye. Recent annual physical with normal complete blood count.

Jump to the present, in August 2006 I was diagnosed with Central Serous Retinopathy in my left eye I. Around this time I also was noticing some dull pain, minor strain( say 2 out 10)tingling feeling if you will above my right eye (Not the CSR eye). Once diagnosed, I said this makes sense, my right eye has been over compensating and hence the soreness.  Somtimes feels like I get poked quickly and then subsides almost instantly.  Pretty random, never major pain just annoying.

Well, here we are today, CSR has cleared up, a little distortion remains.

But still have the on again off again pain/strain above right eye. Let's say 93% above right eye 7% above left eye.   Sometimes I have good days other days not so much. It does seem to be aggravated by computer or TV/reading but sometimes I can
no, its not time for an MRI.  none of that sounds neurological to me, not even close.  all of that sounds like possible eyestrain/refractive issues/dryness, etc.  not tumors or whatever else you'd be looking for on an MRI.
I am not the forum doctor- The odds are against this being neurological and this doesn't sound neurological to me. The fact that eye drops help with warm compresses show to me that dry eye is the most likely out of the many possibilities. But if you've had all types of eye exams, then you are fine. Save your money, MRI's are pricey. Travel, OD
Let's assume insurance was paying for the MRI, still unwarranted?  One thing I think of is sinus issue to be ruled out?

I tend to agree seeing as I have seen some improvement of two weeks on drops and admittedly intemittent hot compresses.  The O.D. yesterday seemd to kind of look at me like I was crazy and basically said he could order all sorts of other tests but saw no reason.  

Thank you.
I forgot to add I was diagnosed with Tinitus recently, had full audiologist exam and physical exam by well respected Chicago ear guy.   Ears are functioning well and he said that hearing test was fine (very minor super high pitch slight loss) but he said go home and do your best to live with it essentially.  It really does not affect me and if I do my best to forget about it I almost can.
Tinnitius is unrelated to whatever eye problem you are having (in my opinion dry eye.) My opinion is that the MRI is unwarranted. Neurological problems with the eye tend to be more than just 'dull pain.' These problems tend to present with moderate to severe pain and with other symptoms such as blurry, double or distorted vision, visual snow, blind spots, etc. If you have none of that, do not worry about this anymore and just keep using the eyedrops. Hope this helps. Travel, OD
It helps a lot!  Can you calrify this for me and my obsessive nature:

"distorted vision"

I have some in my left eye, Vertical lines bend a bit, OD said this may never go away after CSR, right eye, I have a slight bend in Horizontal lines, especially up close, say computer monitor.  

Optometrist says this is becasue I play the one eye open game too much and compare and I am senstive and a bit paranoid about my vision after CSR and that slight hosriztonal bend is due to my astigmatism.

Lord knows in the last 7 months, I have had many complete eye exams from optometrists and multiple Opthomologists.  

I see 20/20 corrected out of each eye by the way.

Thanks so much.
When i say distorted/blurry vision, it speaks for itself. If your vision is blurred and things don't look at all like normal (you'd definitely know it if you had it,) then we'd say distorted/blurred vision. It sounds like you have taken every step you should take regarding your eye problems. The other symptoms you describe match your CSR/astigmatism. And stop closing one eye, etc, obsessing about it... Stress is often called the great intimidator because of all the problems is causes/and because it amplifies existing, minor problems into distraous nightmares. There is nothing concerning at all about your complaints and the ones that you have otherwise have already been attributed to diseases such as CSR. You may want to ask your doctor for some klonopin for your anxiety and an SSRI for your "obsession." But what do I know, I'm just an optometrist :)
For what its worth, I have been very happy with both Optometrists and Opthomologists.

Originally my optometrist could see something on my left eye after I had the initial gray spot in my central vsion and she sent me to OD who diagnosed CSR.  This was at a university hopsital and after what seemed like 10 medical students looked at my eye for practice.  I figure I got 10 exams in one day before finally seeing the retina specialist.

I will carry on and stop obsessing.

Thanks!
thanks again, i am going to assume not refractive, as my prespcription is brand new and with the issue i have been having I assum they paid attention and got that right.  

eye strain i can see and working on a computer it is hard to avoid this, but i am tryting to take a lot of breaks, i have increased font size etc.  flat screen lcd monitor and not too close.  
Well now you've heard it from myself, Dr. Prince, and all your other doctors. Basically, you're fine. Take care.
I like my Optometrist and OD.

Optometrist was where I went first with gray spot in central vision, she saw "something" on retina and sent me to OD who diagnosed me with CSR.  

This was at a University Hospiatal so after 10 medical students had given me an exam and theorized the retinalspecialist confirmed.

I had 10 exams in one day the way i see it, and since multiple OD and optometrists visits at two clinics.  The last of which was yesterday where the guy basically said what you are saying, try to relax.  

Though he didnt seem all that concerned about dry eye and asked if I ever considered lasik.  I told him that was the least of my concerns and would talk about that once I could get rid of this on again off again dull pain.  

Thank you and I will stop obsessing.  
When can I expect this to get better and who should I see next if it does not?  Further exploration of other underlying causes?

If it is eye strain is there anythign I can do other than warm compresses and the lubricating tears.  I am stuck working at a computer unfortunately and try to take breaks when I can.  
I am 35, working on computer most of the time and also watching TV at home.  Lately I have sleepless nights but have 6 to 7 hours sleep in average.

There is pain on above eyes when I press, is that the sign of tiredness?  I tried to sleep more than 7 hours but difficult for me to sleep more than that even on week ends.

Advice what shall I do?