Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Extremely dry eyes in the mornings
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Extremely dry eyes in the mornings

For most of my life (but much worse in the past 5 or so years) I have had problems with my eyes being EXTREMELy dry in the mornings when I wake up.  My eyelids are usually slightly puffy/swollen, and opening my eyes feels horrible!  They burn like they have absolutely no moisture on them.

Putting a few drops of artificial tears into each eye fixes the problem within 1 minute or less.  But afterwards, my eyes uually burn slightly for at least 20 minutes or so.  And trying to hold my eyes open long enough to put the drops in to begin with is nearly impossible due to the pain.  I have no problems with dryness during the day.

If I wait and keep my eyes closed for 15-20 minutes or so after I wake up, they will naturally hydrate and everything is fine.  But that is dangerous to do, because by keeping my eyes closed when I've just woken up, I risk falling asleep unintentionally - which can be bad.  Also, if I ever had to immediately wake up and leave my home in an emergency, I'd basically be running around blind :P

Is this any type of known condition, and is there are type of medication to stimulate the eyes to produce more tears during the night?  My doctor talked to me about plugging my tear ducts.  That doesn't sound very appealing honestly, and I'd like to explore other options first - if there are any.

Ultimately though, I am willing to do almost anything to not have to suffer through this morning pain anymore.