Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Extremely dry eyes in the mornings

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Extremely dry eyes in the mornings

For most of my life (but much worse in the past 5 or so years) I have had problems with my eyes being EXTREMELy dry in the mornings when I wake up.  My eyelids are usually slightly puffy/swollen, and opening my eyes feels horrible!  They burn like they have absolutely no moisture on them.

Putting a few drops of artificial tears into each eye fixes the problem within 1 minute or less.  But afterwards, my eyes uually burn slightly for at least 20 minutes or so.  And trying to hold my eyes open long enough to put the drops in to begin with is nearly impossible due to the pain.  I have no problems with dryness during the day.

If I wait and keep my eyes closed for 15-20 minutes or so after I wake up, they will naturally hydrate and everything is fine.  But that is dangerous to do, because by keeping my eyes closed when I've just woken up, I risk falling asleep unintentionally - which can be bad.  Also, if I ever had to immediately wake up and leave my home in an emergency, I'd basically be running around blind :P

Is this any type of known condition, and is there are type of medication to stimulate the eyes to produce more tears during the night?  My doctor talked to me about plugging my tear ducts.  That doesn't sound very appealing honestly, and I'd like to explore other options first - if there are any.

Ultimately though, I am willing to do almost anything to not have to suffer through this morning pain anymore.
I also have very dry eyes in the morning.  In fact, I awake about 5-6 times per night and have to put in tear drops as they are dry and sore.  I have found that by using a humidifier in my room, it helps quite a bit.  Perhaps your eyes don't close right shut when you are sleeping.  This can really cause the eyes to dry out.  There are thicker tear drops such as Celluvisc that may offer more long term relief.  Also, make sure to drink lots of water during the day.  It helps to hydrate the eye.  I was also told to take Omega 3-6-9 to help with the problem.  Good luck with it- I know how painful it is!