Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye Bubble ???

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye Bubble ???

I was in the shower and all of a sudden had a pain in my left eye toward the outside white area. I thought perhaps soap got in it or something.  I did not think too much about it.  that was about 5 days ago.  It has been bothering me a bit since then and last night it was really itchy.  I rubbed it pretty hard and then went to the mirror to see if there was something in it.  I eventually noticed there appeared to be a bubble or something about 1/4 inch in size and colorless.  It is only on the white part and again the outside, not the side close to the nose.  It was weird and reminded me of a water blister you could get on your hand or something after working all day with a shovel or something like that.  Anyways, I was curious what it could be.  Also, there was a little bit of white stuff in the corner of my eye, like pus??, and this morning a little tiny bit of white crusty stuff on my eyelashes.  I tried a drop of a eye lubricant this morning, but it is still really red today.  any idea.  My vision does not seem hindered today and the bubble was gone???  really weird...
if you are a contact lens wearer, you need an exam.

if you are NOT a contact lens wearer, you likely have ocular ALLERGIES.  itchy eyes is the classic ocular allergy symptom.  the "bubble" was either temporary swelling under the conjunctiva (which is no big deal), or it could even be a "phlyctenule" (more chronic response).  you might need to be on topical ocular antihistamines (Rx allergy eyedrops)

does this look like that you have/had?:

http://www.revoptom.com/handbook/March_2004/sec2_5.htm
It is hard to say from that picture.  I was a contact lense wearer about 6 years ago.  The contacts always bothered me and gave me itchy eyes or red eyes even after I tried there several different hard annd soft ones,  so I eventually got lasic about January 2001.  Since then I have not had really any problems except for I would occasionally get reddish bloodshot looking eyes pretty much on a monthly or every two month basis.  I never have thought much of that, but maybe it is an allergy.  I live in Colorado where it is pretty dry and I just would always put in lubricant or tears when it got red.  Sound like an allergy then?  I have no other allergies but that probably does not matter, does it?
that does sound like allergies to me.  even if you dont have other seasonal allergy symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, etc).

go to an eye doc and tell them you ITCH and you want to possibly try Rx antihistamine/mast cell stabilizer eyedrops (patanol, zaditor, optivar)
THANKS for your help. I appreciate it! I was quite worried before.  :)
Did u ever find out what you were having an allergy to with those bubbles. I had some a while backand im not sure if my eyes have changed since doing welding (no serious problems, flashes.)
i've never had seasonal allergies before til a few years ago. this year it seemed the worst. just today my eyes started itching. so i turned to rubbing. a few moments later i felt a discomfort in my eye so i went to check it out. i saw that my eyes were red and a bubble, like the previous entry, had appeared. it seemed like a water blister. i tear a bit and when i woke up from a nap, it seemed like my eyes were stuck shut. i'm really worried. please help.
i also forgot to mention that i am a contact wearer for at least 2 years now but its never been a problem for me until right now. is it because of my allergies?
I have had 'bubbles' on the outside corner of both eyes and one in the inside corner of one eye, for about a year now.  The bubbles started out small, but one of them has gotten pretty big... they don't hurt unless I press on it... they appear to be 'clear'...other then looking gross beside my beautiful eyes, they haven't given me any problems as far as my vision is concerned, more of a cosmetic problem.... but wondering what they could be and how I got them.
A related discussion, water blister on eye was started.
A related discussion, bubble eye was started.