Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye Problem: One eye bigger than the other

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I have one eye that is bigger than the other. The bigger eye has better vision than the smaller eye. My eyes havent been that way since birth, or at least it wasnt visible since birth. Do prescription glasses correct the vision in the smaller eye over time? And would contacts have the same effect as prescription glasses? And can this condition be corrected with surgery? If so, what type of surgery?
it depends on what is causing the difference.  often an eye that appears to be smaller is not actually smaller at all...its just set farther back in your head.  in fact, thats actually more common than having a "true" smaller eye.

if you ACQUIRED this difference...in other words you used to look normal but now you appear to have one smaller eye...then you need testing.  you could have a THYROID problem that is causing one eye to be forced FORWARD a little, making the other eye appear "smaller".  this is really common and is called "proptosis".  i am especially thinking thyroid if you are a female between say 15 and 35 or so.

you need an eye exam by an optometrist or ophthalmologist 1st.  then you probably need thyroid testing.

some of the other things that can cause a difference in appearance between the 2 eyes:

-tumor (this would be a big deal obviously)
-ptosis or droopy eyelid

there are others.  you need an eye exam.  this is more complicated than just getting glasses.
I have this same problem.. my right eye seems lifted up and bigger and my left eye seems smaller and pulled down... ive been to eye doctors and nobody is able to help.. Let me know if u wanna talk more about this.. its really ruined my life because i feel imbalanced now too.
Just an off the wall comment here, but I think most people who spend any time staring at their eyes in the mirror are going to notice that their eyes are not exactly the same.  One eye will have slight differences, and sometimes big differences that are just normal.  The older you get, the more pronounced these differences become.  No has a completely symetrical face.

I don't think your "off the wall comment" is in anyway truthful. First thing I wouldnt care about the small differences in my eye, IF IT WASNT AFFECTING MY VISION. There is a difference between being self conscious and actually having a problem, and this is one of those rare cases that its a combination of both. I mean unless you have any knowledge of this certain issue, I'm not sure your in any position to display your logic.
eroyce.. do u hear cracking in your eyes?? feel imbalanced..?? has it affected u mentally , spiritually .. let me know.. i have the same thing as u
did u read my comment a few days ago on this site called very unusual symptom??
I dont hear any cracking or anything. All i know is that one eye has worst vision than the other. I've already had a check up and everything and i know that much.
are you mentally ok?
yeah I'm fine emotionally, thats not an issue.
A related discussion, one eye is smaller than other from birth was started.
A related discussion, recently one eye became bigger than the other was started.