Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye Problems - Pink Eye- Not Improving

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye Problems - Pink Eye- Not Improving

On Thursday 29th March, i woke up with my right eye weeping, i presumed i had pink eye, but couldnt go to see a doctor until Sunday as i was away on a business trip.

By the time i went to the urgent care on Sunday, my left eye had also started weeping, and my right eye was swollen closed, my eye lids swollen and red, and the right side of my face was all very swollen, so the doctor presumed i had a bad case of bacterial conjunctivitis. She gave me a antibiotic shot on Sunday and Monday, she also gave me antibitoic tablets and eyedrops. By the time i saw her on Wednesday 4th April, she wasnt happy that it hadnt improved a great deal even though the swelling had gonedown

She refered me to a eye specialist last Thursday, and she said that i had viral pink eye, and to stop taking the antibitoic tablets, and i could carry on taking the antibiotics eyedrops if i wanted to. She prescribed me steroid eyedrops.

So i just started taking the steroid eyedrops and not the antibiotic ones for a couple of days, but my eyes were still not improving. I was also waking up with my eyes stuck together and yellow crust on them, which from hat i read is Bacrerial. So i started taking the antibiotic eyedrops and the steroids together

Anyways now im looking for another opinion, as my eyesight is getting blurrier by the day, i can no longer read anytihng with my right eye, and my left eye is also getting worse

Its almost been 2 weeks since it first started
well its probably not bacterial.  lots of 'urgent care' clinics assume bacterial conjunctivitis and over-Rx antibiotics IMO.  an 'antibiotic shot' is a strange thing to Rx IMO for 'bacterial conjunctivitis'.

anyway if it is viral, it'll clear up on its own.  not much you can do.  steroids usually dont help, antibiotics definitely dont help.  in fact, depending on the antibiotic you were Rx'd and your sensitivities, antibiotics can actually make corneal inflammatory conditions WORSE.

dont know why you're not better.  but if its viral its pretty much untreatable.
1 Comment
I also want to add that im 23, have had no eye problems before and do not wear contact lenses