Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye Test and Nausea

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye Test and Nausea

About 5 years ago I had an extensive medical exam - I think it was part of the process to adopt a child.  During this exam they placed strips of paper in the corner of my eyes and told me to wait for 5 mins.  After about one minute I started to feel really ill and when I heard the nurse I told her - she quickly took the strips out of my eyes and told me that I had a "sensitivity" which this test brought out.  Something about a nerve (vugular?)or something that ran down past the eye.  

Today I got my eyelashes dyed and it reminded me of this event - though I didn't feel nearly as sick as the last time.

I have tried to look this up myself and saw some information about the Schirmers test - not sure why they would be giving me this test because I do not have dry eyes - and I also can't see anything about this test making people feel nauseas.
yes, thats the old schirmer test.  let me give you my opinion of that test:

TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY WORTHLESS.

thats an old school "dry eye" test and the results dont mean anything IMO, *ESPECIALLY* when read by a "nurse" and not confirmed by or coupled with further dry eye testing like TBUT or rose bengal staining or something like that.  it certainly does not mean you have any "sensitivity" that would mean anything to your eye health or anything else.

dont worry about it.  totally worthelss test IMO.  completely worthless.  did i mention worthelss?
LOL!

But--is it worthless, in your opinion???
lol yeah, i have to admit i was trying to be funny.  glad someone thought it WAS funny!