Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye discomfort 6 months after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had cataract surgery about 6 months ago, both eyes. Lately I have had some days when my eyes get quite uncomfortable,
with a sensation as if I have something in the eye but not a sharp pain, more like an ache. I use eye drops but this doesn't seem to help for long. The other thing I've noticed is that at night when I'm trying to get to sleep, it seems that I can feel the lenses moving around under the eyelid - a bit as if I have contact lenses in. It's not painful but uncomfortable and disconcerting - I don't notice this during the day. Are these sensations normal after 6 months, and can I expect it to go away eventually?

One other detail is that about 3 months ago I started taking hormones for menopause and I read that sometimes this can cause eye changes. I asked my gynecologist about it before I started taking the med and, after checking with the manufacturer she said ,it would only be a problem for someone with glaucoma as it can cause a chancein eye pressure. Could eye pressure be a problem with someone with IOLs who has always had normal eye pressure?  Do you think I should be concerned that the med is having some sort of negative effect?

Thank you for your help!
it depends on what kind of surgery you had.  did you ave stitches or "no-stitch" surgery?  it also depends on what kind of "drops" you used.  i would use high viscosity artificial tears.

no, i do not think your hormone replacement therapy or IOL are causing you to have high intraocular pressure.  HRT could contribute to the "dry" feeling, however.
Thanks for your response. I had one stitch in each eye with the surgery - but I haven't had these sensations continuously since then - only in the last weeks. Do you think "dry eyes" would give me the sensation of being able to "feel" the lens under the eyelid? I know of course that IOL's are not on the surface of the eye, like a contact lens.
(Actually Tibolone, the HRT I am taking, has been shown in at least one test to "improve tear function tests in postmenopausal women" so it's very confusing!)

A related discussion, eye discomfort after cataract surgery was started.