Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye discomfort 6 months after cataract surgery
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Eye discomfort 6 months after cataract surgery
I had cataract surgery about 6 months ago, both eyes. Lately I have had some days when my eyes get quite uncomfortable,
with a sensation as if I have something in the eye but not a sharp pain, more like an ache. I use eye drops but this doesn't seem to help for long. The other thing I've noticed is that at night when I'm trying to get to sleep, it seems that I can feel the lenses moving around under the eyelid - a bit as if I have contact lenses in. It's not painful but uncomfortable and disconcerting - I don't notice this during the day. Are these sensations normal after 6 months, and can I expect it to go away eventually?

One other detail is that about 3 months ago I started taking hormones for menopause and I read that sometimes this can cause eye changes. I asked my gynecologist about it before I started taking the med and, after checking with the manufacturer she said ,it would only be a problem for someone with glaucoma as it can cause a chancein eye pressure. Could eye pressure be a problem with someone with IOLs who has always had normal eye pressure?  Do you think I should be concerned that the med is having some sort of negative effect?

Thank you for your help!
Discussion is closed
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
it depends on what kind of surgery you had.  did you ave stitches or "no-stitch" surgery?  it also depends on what kind of "drops" you used.  i would use high viscosity artificial tears.

no, i do not think your hormone replacement therapy or IOL are causing you to have high intraocular pressure.  HRT could contribute to the "dry" feeling, however.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
Thanks for your response. I had one stitch in each eye with the surgery - but I haven't had these sensations continuously since then - only in the last weeks. Do you think "dry eyes" would give me the sensation of being able to "feel" the lens under the eyelid? I know of course that IOL's are not on the surface of the eye, like a contact lens.
(Actually Tibolone, the HRT I am taking, has been shown in at least one test to "improve tear function tests in postmenopausal women" so it's very confusing!)

Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A related discussion, eye discomfort after cataract surgery was started.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now