Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye discomfort 6 months after cataract surgery
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Eye discomfort 6 months after cataract surgery

I had cataract surgery about 6 months ago, both eyes. Lately I have had some days when my eyes get quite uncomfortable,
with a sensation as if I have something in the eye but not a sharp pain, more like an ache. I use eye drops but this doesn't seem to help for long. The other thing I've noticed is that at night when I'm trying to get to sleep, it seems that I can feel the lenses moving around under the eyelid - a bit as if I have contact lenses in. It's not painful but uncomfortable and disconcerting - I don't notice this during the day. Are these sensations normal after 6 months, and can I expect it to go away eventually?

One other detail is that about 3 months ago I started taking hormones for menopause and I read that sometimes this can cause eye changes. I asked my gynecologist about it before I started taking the med and, after checking with the manufacturer she said ,it would only be a problem for someone with glaucoma as it can cause a chancein eye pressure. Could eye pressure be a problem with someone with IOLs who has always had normal eye pressure?  Do you think I should be concerned that the med is having some sort of negative effect?

Thank you for your help!