Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye glass prescription too strong?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye glass prescription too strong?

I have been seening a eye surgeon because I want to have lasik vision correction.  I am farsighted. Without jumping into the lasik right away the doctor told me I had to wear a stronger presciption for a while.  With the new prescription I can see great close up which is what I wanted, but this prescription is presenting a big blur with my distance vision, which I never had before.  I suggested that they were too strong, he said my eyes had to adjust because I had been using my distance vision to compensate my close up vision for so long.  I have been wearing the full strength prescription for two months and there has been no change with the blurriness.  I keep being told I have to stick with it and it could take up to a year or two to adjust to this prescription.  I wore this prescription in 3/4 strength for a few weeks because I was having so much trouble seeing at night (with the full strength prescription) and they were so perfectly clear (close up and distance).  I have been wearing the full strength pres. for 6-7 hours during the day and then I have to switch to 3/4 strengh because my eyes are so tired from trying to see through the blur.  the sockets of my eyes are so sore and I am straining.  I'm very frustrated. Help!
i agree with your surgeon.  you sound like a "latent hyperope".  all latent hyperopes always think their prescription is too strong and complain that their distance vision is blurry.  

stick with it.

if you cannot get used to the stronger Rx, then lasik is a terrible idea...it will not work unless you can hash thru and get used to the new rx.  it is highly unlikely that the surgeon measured you wrong and wrote the wrong rx.  much, much more likely that you are just having a hard time adjusting.  very, very common.
I'm adjusting to a stronger pair of glasses.  I have latent hyperopia.  My close up vision is fine now, but my distance is now blurry.  I am sticking with it, but I can see it's going to take some time.  I want to have lasik surgery, but this new prescription was prescribed first for me to wear for a while.   Will I get to the point where my distance vision becomes clear or is it possible that I may never adjust to this new prescription?  Thank you
both are possible.  you may get to a pint where your distance vision is clear, but you also may never "adjust".
I saw my eye surgeon today and tested 20/20 vision and also tested 20/20 vision two weeks ago.  Although I did notice an improvement in my distance vision  when standing still, just in the last week, it is still slightly blurry and it is a little blurier when I am moving around and driving. I feel like I'm not getting the quick focus with any movement.   But it is still better than it was.  The surgeon said I am ready for lasik, but knows I am hesitant because of the blur.  He said because the prescription I am wearing is so strong I am having abberations of light, and I don't necessarily have to have perfect vision all day long with this prescription to be ready for lasik.  At my last visit he gave me a pair of contact lenses to wear for a few hours, just for my confidence, to show me that it was not the prescription.  When I tried the contact lenses, my vision was more blurry than with the glasses.  But I  have never been able to wear contact lenses anyway, because they have always been irritating to my eyes.  He is leaving the decision of surgery totally up to me, but says I am ready, but I am really nervous that I may have continued distance blur after the lasik.  Any thoughts???
Forgot to mention it has been three months since I started wearing the stronger prescription.