Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye pain/constant sinus headache without actual sinus issues

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

For the past few months, I've been dealing with constant eye pain/sinus headache. The eyes feel dry/itchy, and the headache is a pressure behind my forehead and under my eyes. I thought it was allergies, but I was tested for everything and all was negative. I had a sinus CT and went to an ENT and everything looks completely normal. My eye doctor said I had dry eyes, so I've been taking Restasis for about 3 weeks- so far, it has made no difference. Is there anyhting else that this could be?

There have been no changes in my lifestyle otherwise, and I feel great besides the eye/head issue- which is quite consuming. My eyes are extremely gritty, and feel as though I have not slept at all. It is often worse in the morning. I have not been able to wear my contacts since this began for more than an hour at a time due to extreme discomfort.

Is there anything else I should look into/things to try?

THANK YOU!
not really.  you're doing all the right things.

try an over-the-counter eyedrop called "soothe".  it comes in an ugly orange & purple box.  i have nothing to do with that company, but have seen some patients get relief with it when other products both OTC and Rx fail.  soothe is an emulsion...a little different from most other rewetting eyedrops.  use it 3-4 times a day and see what happens.

most studies show that restasis takes about 3 *months* to work.  not 3 weeks.

the soothe may help the dryness/gritty.  but i doubt it will help with the headache/pressure feeling.

dont know.  complicated.

One more thing to note- I've had my blood tested recently since this started and my thyroid/all other levels were in range.
I just went to the doctor recently becuase I was wearing non-prescriptive color contacts and I developed an infection in my left eye.  My doctor prescribed Vigamox.  I have to go back because when they dilated my eyes tbey noticed my optic nerve was enlarged and then they asked if anyone in my famiy has glaucoma.  I havr to go back for further testing.  I also have slight pain on that side which sometimes travels from my eye to the back of my head.  Is there need for concern?
I wonder if anyone can help me at all. I used to wear contact lenses for 4 years or so. All of a sudden, it got uncomfortable. I stopped wearing it and started again after a couple of months. But i never got the comfort level i used to have. Things just got from bad to worst. All of a sudden, I started have terrible headaches whilst wearing contact lenses. When they are out, the headache ceases. It got really frustrating. I went to the hospital and they said my eyes were alright and they cannot find anything wrong with it. They said i had moderate dry eyes and recommended that I use RGP lenses. I purchased RGP lenses and my eyes seem fine. But the headache is still there!!! Sometimes my eyelid hurts as well and my temples throbs!! Sighs... I have gone back to the optician and he does not find anything wrong with my eyes.. I cannot wear glasses as my job does not permit to do so. LASIK is just too expensive. What is wrong with my eyes?? Why the sudden headache? Do contact lenses cause migraine? I have been suffering for the past 1 year or so. Are there anymore options?

I would really really appreciate some advise...
A related discussion, eye pain was started.