Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye problems (Build up of white substance)

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

For the past year or so, I have had an abmormal amount of a build up in my eye.  It is a thick white substance that forms all over my eyes.  It causes me severe discomfort, and it doesn't seem to get any better.  I have always thought it is a protein build up, but I am not really sure.  Through the course of the day, I have to remove large deposits of this white substance from the inner corner of my eye.  Sometimes it is very stringy and found covering my eye, other times it is in a big mass under my eyelid or in the corner of my eye.  This buildup make my contacts unbearable to wear many days. Is this serious?  Should I see an eye doctor?  Are there supplements available to prevent this?  Thanks for your help
YES you should see an eye doctor.

sounds like "giant papillary conjunctivitis" or GPC.  not particularly dangerous, but will not go away on its own.
1 Comment
A related discussion, calcium in the eye was started.