Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eye whites are turning yellow

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye whites are turning yellow

Over the last week I've noticed my eye whites are turning yellow.  Could this be due to some sort of nutrition deficiency or is it something else?  What can I do to correct it?  Thanks!
yes, could be jaundice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaundice

in which case you'd need a physical with blood testing.

it could also be pinguecula:

http://www.stlukeseye.com/Conditions/Pinguecula.asp

which would not be nearly as big of a deal.  you need an eye exam.  someone needs to figure you out.
See a doctor to rule out liver problems. Is any of your skin yellowish in color?
Also, do you have any gallbladder problems? That also can increase your bilirubin which would cause you sclera to turn yellow. And a problem with the pancreas can also cause your symptoms.  You need to see an Internist to find out what is causing your jaundice. I would do it very soon! Best wishes.
do not go to an internist 1st.  go to an eye doctor 1st.  it would be different if you were experiencing skin discoloration.  but in the absence of skin discoloration and other symptoms, the most likely scenario IMO is pinguecula.  it'll take 5 seconds or less for the eye doc to tell you whether it is or is not pinguecula.  and then if it is NOT...THEN go to an internist to rule out jaundice/liver disease.

if you go to an internist 1st, you may end up with a ton of blood testing that is totally unneccessary.

true that pinguecua is not usually a "quick onset" type of problem, but a LOT of people go years w/o noticing it and then suddenly they come in saying they "just noticed" their eyes "turning yellow"...and its a pinguecua.  this happens all the time at my office.
I respectfully disagree because if the sclera is yellow due to pinguecua, it will not cause harm to wait to be examined.  If the sclera is yellow due to the liver, gallbladder, pancreas, etc, waiting can be deadly. But yes, blood test can be very expensive without medical insurance. That is for sure.
i didnt say wait.  i just said the 1st step shouldnt be an appt with an internist.
But making appointments takes time.  It may take only a few seconds to diagnosis pinguecua. But waiting for another appointment after seeing an eye doctor, to schedule an appointment to see an internist, would be out of the question, if a person's sclera is jaundice, say to a biliary obstruction. You are risking peritonitis. Just my way of thinking.
the wait on seeing any specialist can be very  long nowadays, sometimes months, I agree if she/he has yellow eyes it'd be a good plan to see the primary doctor soon to rule out liver, pancreas,etc. right away as waiting a month or two could harm their health.
A related discussion, yellow in white eyez was started.