Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eyes keep fogging up

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eyes keep fogging up
cdj
Help I have been recently had my eyes dilated and examined by a neuro-opthomologist.  I was referred to him by my neurologist who I've been seeing for my chronic headache disorder.  The opthomologist told me I look completely normal.   But my eyes keep fogging over spontaneously.  It tends to be much more frequent and severe in my left eye but also happens in my right eye at times.  Sometimes I can "blink away" the fog as it starts, but other times I have stood over the sink and rinsed my eyes with water for an hour and my vision is still foggy.  It is as if I there is a thick fog in my vision, around lights, etc.  It has allways resolved within a half day, or the next morning.    Do you have any idea what maybe wrong?   I am 28 years old. male, white.  Thank you
this does not sound neurological to me.  this sounds like uncorrected hyperopia (farsighedness) or corneal edema.

are you a contact lens wearer?

you probably need to see a good optometrist, or an optometrist and a corneal specialist.

rinsing with water will likely not help.
cdj
Yes i also wanted to mention that when i stare at one fixed spot for a while (20+ seconds) everything surrounding in my periphreal vision begins to fade away..not so much black out as just blur together
i get the blurring when staring at an object, i assume its more to do with brain than eyes?
okay everyone gets the fading peripheral vision afetr 20+ seconds.  thats no big deal.  NO that is not reall a "brain" problem.  thats a chemical process in your retinal receptors...
cdj
Thanks for you response doc...

What exactly is corenal edama, is it dangerous, what is the prognosis, and would the opthamologist has detected it on a routine exam?    

Thanks again.
cdj
Also I do not nor have I ever worn contacts.   I used to wear glasses but that was because my job involved driving.  I do not wear glasses anymore unless I'm driving at night (which I rarely do).   I am 20/50 (i think) but I have no need to wear my glasses especially because they provoke my headache (constant 24/7 pressure in head).
corneal edema is swelling of the cornea.  unlikely if you are not a CL wearer.