Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Eyes turn inward while relaxed

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eyes turn inward while relaxed

I hope you can help me - 37 yr old female. In the last 10 months, I have periodicaly noticed that my eyes involuntarily turn inwards and up when I close them to go to sleep - this is uncomfortable, and the only way to stop it is to force them back into focus thus making it impossible to sleep. Usually, I get to sleep through sheer tiredness, but 10 days ago, I had a day where I had a bad headache around my eyes and virtigo- I tried to go to sleep, but it was impossible as the pain when they started turning in was unbearable. My eyes hurt daily until yesterday when they started feeling better - the pain was around my eyes - in the muscles, and occurred on movement mostly. There doesn't seem to be any actual visual disturbance. There has been in the past and I now wear a prism in my glasses to correct double vision - so I'm saying there is nothing other than what my glasses correct. I have seen a Neurologist and he is thinking maybe MS - been down that track before as I have had many other symptoms, but clear MRI last year. Possible complicated migraine was previous diagnosis, but the Neuro says the turning in thing is unusual for this. Would you agree? Is there any other condition that could be responsible? The MRI is not for another 3 weeks. When I was examined by a speciallist Physician (NZ)before the last MRI, he said he could see interneuclear opthalomoplegia in both eyes and yet this did not show up on the MRI 4 weeks later, so the diagnosis was changed. Do you have any ideas? Thanks
not any more ideas that what you've already head.  sorry.  i was thinking interneuclear opthalomoplegia myself until i read that you already had it ruled out.

no help.  sorry!