Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
FREQUENT BLINKING IN TODDLER

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

FREQUENT BLINKING IN TODDLER

I HAVE JUST BEGUN TO NOTICE AS MY CHILD HAS STARTED WATCHING MORE TV THAT SHE BLINKS FREQUENTLY AT NIGHT WHILE WATCHING.  I HAVE SPECIFICALLY WATCHED HER DURING THE DAY AND DURING TIMES THAT SHE IS NOT WATCHING TV AND DO NOT NOTICE.  IT HAS ONLY BEEN AT NIGHT WHILE WATCHING TV.  SHE HAS HAD ALL OF HER WELL-BABY VISITS WITH OUR PEDIATRICIAN AND THEY HAVE LOOKED AT HER EYES AND NOT NOTICED ANY PROBLEMS.  I AM TRYING NOT TO BE CONCERNED BUT I AM VERY PARANOID OVER HER.  SHE RECOGNIZES EVERYTHING AND IS VERY SMART BUT I DO WORRY OVER WHY SHE IS BLINKING.  I DO BLINK AT NIGHT WHEN I AM TIRED AND SOMETIMES WATCHING TV WITH MINIMAL LIGHT HURTS MY EYES.  JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN GIVE INSIGHT..THANKS.
How old is your child? How late at night is He/She up?

Just like when we read, when we watch TV people tend to stare.  This can cause dryness that might explain the frequent blinking.  Is your house dry?  did this just statt happening since you put the heat on in the house. Gas forced air heat is causes very dry conditions.  Also, later in the evening your tear production slows down, letting you know to get to sleep.

Younger children should be off to bed between 8-9 to help them grow and stay healthy. The last thing I would ask is, does your child squint at the TV?  If so, it's time for a good eye exam.

Most people don't know that it's never too early to get a professional eye exam.
SHE DOES NOT SQUINT..ONLY BLINKS FREQUENTLY.  SHE GOES TO BED BETWEEN 8-9PM.  SHE IS 16 MONTHS OLD.  I HAVE JUST STARTED NOTICING THIS SINCE WE TURNED THE HEAT ON.  I DO NOT FEEL SHE IS HAVING TROUBLE SEEING AND THE PEDIATRICIAN JUST LOOKED AT HER EYES LESS THAN A MONTH AGO AT HER 15 MONTH CHECK UP.  I DO THINK, FOR AT LEAST PEACE OF MIND, THAT I WILL SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE EYE DOCTOR.
I TOOK MY DAUGHTER TO THE EYE DOCTOR TODAY.  EVERYTHING WAS FINE.  HE DID TELL ME THAT THE RECOMMENDATION IS 1, 3, 5.  THEY DO NOT TELL US THAT AT THE PEDIATRICIAN.  SO FYI TO ANY PARENTS.
Good idea.  The pediatrition is not really trained to recognoze anything other than gross defects.  The eye docotor (MD/OD) is best.  It's sounds like your on the right track.
A related discussion, eye blinking/squint in toddler was started.
A related discussion, toddler eye blinking was started.
A related discussion, blinking eyes frequently was started.
A related discussion, blinking eyes in my toddler was started.