Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Fine Drusen in my eye (s)? What does this mean- help!

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I am only 33 years old, am an artist and work with graphics for a living.  I went to an opthamologist about something unrelated and apparently I have 'fine drusen' in my optical field?  He said this could be an early sign of macular problems, like macular degeneration, and that it needs to get check out every year. I don't know if he saw this in one or both eyes. My Docotor is with Kaiser- needless to say I can't get much information from him.

I am seriously distressed, I would rather loose one of my limbs than loose my vision.  Does this mean I have an early stage of macular degeneration?  IF this doesn't mean this, what percentage of people who have drusen develop macular degeneration? How long does it take to develope macular degeneration> At what age (if this isn't considered it yet) would stuff happen to my eyes?  
Are there promising medical cures/work on the horizon?

No-one in my family has macular degeneration, including both of my 90+ grandmothers.  I am caucasian, and have probably the worst vision in my family (very nearsighted).

If it means I have a chance of developing macular problems, what can I do to prevent it ?

Are there support/informaiton groups in California?
-seriously distressed
"fine drusen" may or may not mean anything.  NO it DOES NOT necessarily mean that you have "early signs" of any eye disease like macular degeneration.  theres not a whole lot you could do anyway to prevent anything like that occurring, so try not to stress.

but "fine drusen" is a blanket term.  he'd have told you if he thought you had actual macular degeneration.

i would not consider this serious.
I work with monitors (old) computers all day long.  Do computer screens damage the eye, as well? Could this be contributing to it?
drusen is in relation to retina, not optical nerves
no, computer use does not cause or affect any retinal problem.  yes, i figured he did not mean "optic nerve drusen"...those are nothing alike and would not ever be termed "fine drusen".