Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Flash in left eye when turning to the left only in the dark

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

In the dark, when I turn my head to the left, I get a kind of flash in the far left of my left eye.  The flash is as if I had glasses on and was seeing the edge of the frame of the glasses going from top to bottom.  But I don't wear glasses.  Anyone have any ideas?
could be a "pressure phosphene", which happens when part of your eye gets temporarily indented or presses upon , causing the retinal recpetors for that area of your vision to "fire" and basically tell you they see light.  in fact, IMO that is the most likely scenario since it ONLY happens under certain conditions and is REPEATABLE under those specific conditions exclusively.

BUT!  people with serious retinal problems like retinal holes or tears or detachments also see flashes of light, so anytime any patient mentions they see "flashes" we all get kind of jumpy.  it is a little unlikely for a NON-myopic person (you said you dont wear glasses...do you wear contacts?  or have you had laser surgery or anything?) who has not had head/eye trauma to have a serious retinal problem.

anyway IMO you *probably* are experiencing pressure phosphenes.  but w/o an eye exam no one can tell for sure, and it is POSSIBLE that you are having a retinal problem.  best thing is to get an exam and have someone look.
1 Comment
A related discussion, eye was started.