Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Flashing arcs in vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Flashing arcs in vision

For the past 7 months or so, I have been seeing flashing circles or arcs in my vision at night. This occurs when I turn my head while sleeping. This occurs in both eyes, but not necessarily at the same time. I have visited my eye doctor and he is unable to see any retinal problems. I am relatively young (34). My eye doctor has referred me to a neurologist. I have no migraines and the flashes I see are not streaks...but circles about the size of my iris. Have you seen this before ?
HELLO MY NAME IS CHRIS YES I HAVE SEEN THIS?EVER SINSE I HAVE HAD MY SON WHICH HE WAS BORN ON MAY 29 2002,I HAVE FLOATERS IN MY EYE ,I HAVE FLAHING LIGHTS IN BOTH EYES BUT THEY COME AND GO I SEE THINGS IN MY THAT GO EVERY WAY I SEE THEM WHEN I LOOK UP TO THE SKY OR ANY LITE BACK GROUND .I HAVE HAD MY EYES CHECKED OUT SEVERAL TIMES BUT THEY SAY THEY ARE FINE,SO ,NOW I AM GOING TO HAVE BLOOD WORK DONE TO MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING ELSE GOING ON.I NO HOW YOU FEEL I HATE HOW MY EYES ARE.GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
I have had the peripheral flashing "bulbs" going on the edges of my vision for more than 10 years now (I am 35 M). earlier it was very light and not too often, mostly during reading.  now it happens almost every 5 minutes and is more pronounced. I have noticed it comes mostly during close eye work - reading, computer etc. but also if there is a light change.  but it happens so often that I am not sure of the exact cause.

Recently I started seeing disturbance in the peripheral vision in one eye - where this arc is more pronounced.  it's almost like a waving curtain IF I stare at something close e.g. book, monitor etc.  it goes away otherwise, but sometimes manifests as flickering lights. very very annoying!

I went to two opthalmologists fearing retinal detachment, and they checked after dilation, but found nothing.  I do have near-sightedness of around -7D.  I am now planning to see if a retina specialist can run some more tests.

has anyone had such phenomenon of continuous flashing arcs in peripheral vision along with waving/flickering at the corner of the eyes?

thanks
If you have seen a retinal specialist who has ruled out any peripheral retinal tears or holes, what you may be experiencing is called a mooren's lightening streak.  This can occur due to the  movement of the vitreous gel inside the eye.  This movement causes either the gel to stimulate the photoreceptors- better known as the rods and cones- via tugging or sloshing against the receptors.  This causes the light flash.  These are particularly seen  under dark illumination. The increase in the number of floaters as one ages is also common and does tend to happen at a younger age in a highly nearsighted eye.  Again, I repeat that this can only be the explanation if a thorough dilated retinal exam has been performed and a retinal tear ruled out. Hope this info has been helpful