Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Flashing shapes in right eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Flashing shapes in right eye

I have had a flashing in my right eye for about a year and a half now. It happens mostly when I am at a screen, watching TV or with my eyes shut.  Although i am noticing it more in general vision lately.  I have seen an eye specialist, about 6 months ago, who said he could not see anything wrong with my eyes, but it is now really worrying me.  He said if it carried on that I should have an MRI scan.

The flashes last a split second, but happen every few seconds when I notice them.  They are normally dark and irregular shapes, but sometimes seem to cover my whole vision and are more grainy then.  They seem to be worse when I am tired.

Does anyone have any ideas?
sounds to me like it could be "pressure phosphenes".  google that.
if it keeps occurring, get a second opinion.
I just read your post and have the same thing! Finally someone who expains it just like I see it!  I have had this for 3 years (I just posted above you with my details) and have been through the ringer because of it.  I have had 2 mri's, many tests for optic neuritis, a spinal tap, and countless visits to the eye doctor all which have turned up an "I don't know what is wrong with you, you look healthy" response.  I first noticed this after my first child was 3 months old. I was totally sleep deprived but figured I had a brain tumor and insisted on an mri which my Neurologist said "opened a can of worms" as it showed some spots on the brain that a year later disappeared, hence ruling out MS. Mine is like an gray ink blot (changes shapes) in the center of vision in the right eye that I too only notice when looking at a screen, eyes closed or doing a calm activity like reading, dishwashing, even staring at the wall while on the phone. It will happen every few second for weeks/months, then go away for weeks.  Mine came back today and last night I had an awful nights sleep so I think it has something to so with being tired. In the last few weeks I have had on/off eyeball pain, sinus pain, and pain in my upper molars which may be a sinus infection or from clentching my teeth at night. I have been putting off another trip to the Retinal Specialist as I am sick of worrying and hearing "we don't know"! I don't think it is the pressure thing the other poster mentioned as I know what that is, like seeing stars when you push on your eyeballs.  Please respond to this email.  I am thrilled to have someone that understadns what I am talking about!
Ihave had similar problems lately.  Out of the blue, I started seeing flashes of light out of the corner of my right eye while shopping for homecoming with my teenage daughter!  I freaked while driving home in the dark, as everytime I turned my head I'd see a flash.  I thought I was having a stroke!  I went to the emergency room, then the next morning an eye doctor and they told me what you heard.  The flashes, I was told, was a tugging on the walls of the retina by the vitreous humour, and it could be serious.  It could cause a retinal tear, but I was told my retina was fine.  I was told that this tugging gave birth to new floaters, and boy did it.  I have probably 50 or so dots floating in my field of vision at all times.  This has been several months, and it has not changed much.  I am most irritated looking at a blank wall or at the sky.  I love walking outdoors and hiking, so this becomes a drag.  If I stare into the distance, and don't move my head, after a moment they fade, and I can again enjoy the view for a second.  I asked the doctor when the flashes should stop, and he just said "That's a good question< if they get worse, let me know."  My research on the internet led me to understand they could last months, even years.  I still get flashes, more minor, when I drive at night.  I also started having on and off pain in my eye and cheek area at this time.  I thought I was squinting or straining or something.  But it continued.  It now seems a bit more like TMJ, and I plan to have my dentist check out these other symptoms, so like you, I thought I might be grinding my teeth at night, or my bit may be off.  The whole thing is just tiring and discouraging and I'm looking for something to help!
I the very same probelm but I have in both eyes. Sometimes when it happens I feel sick after it. I have had it for about 6 months, but it is getting better, but now its changed insted of seeing flashing shaped I see a fuzzynes.
I have the same symptoms.. (Flashing in the corner of my right Eye!). I started having this problem years ago when I started weight lifting and it stopped for a long while it and just happened to me again this morning, (which lead me to do a web search to see if anyone else has had this problem.)
That said... I have a theory of what might be causing this and I will share it with you all. Maybe my theory is correct and we can figure this out!!
Has anyone of you used a product that had nutra-sweet or any artificial sweetener as an ingredient? I noticed that every time I had one of these flashing episodes it has been within hours of me ingesting an artificial sweetener. The only reason why I came to this conclusion is because I stopped using all NutraSweet products for more then 2 years and shortly after I did, the flashing stopped. I was thirsty last night and I stopped off at a 7 eleven and I drank a diet iced tea and when I woke up this morning (5 hours after) the flashing started again. I noticed that a combination of NutraSweet and being a bit dehydrated gives me the flashing (I thought back to when I used to get the flashing more frequently and it has always been after I drank a protein shake that was loaded with Artificial sweetener)

I wonder if any of you noticed this because I would like to put my theory to rest!!

I had this problem, and in my case it was the vitreous fluid pushing on the retina and causing the flashes, and in fact a detached retina.  I had eye surgery to put a scleral buckle on, to push the retina back into place on 7 nov 2005.  
The liquid should be reabsorbed,but if that doesn't happen in the next month or so, my dr is suggesting a laser treatment.

I've had phenomenal results - I'll have a very mild perscription for distance and my ability to reading close up has actually improved slightly!

If you are seeing flashes you should see an opthamalogist who will have a good look inside your eye and at the back to see how the retina is doing.

good luck!
hi, ive also got the same problem in my right eye too!
im going to outline my problem and steps ive taken so that together we can help each other.
i'm seeing a flash everytime i blink my eyes (as if someone has  just taking a picture from a camera with flash). it lasts all day and not just for 20-30mims. it has been happening for the last 3/4days now. just went to a specialist eye consultant who thought it was odd for me to see flashes at my age - 19. he said its common in those 50-60yrs old and could be to do with the detachment of the retina.
he then dilated my eyes and had a good look into them but said he found nothing. his response was: 1)come back and see him after 3-4 months if they are still there (he said they may just disappear the way they came). 2) call him if it gets any worse.
he said the eyes usually send a singal that they are in pain by sending out a flash.
i havent been getting much sleep recently at all and have also been on the computer for several hours each day. the doctor did mention that research has shown that computer screens have no impact on peoples vision and that they can only give you a headache and make you tired - although that is also mainly to do with the environment of a workplace with air conditioning etc.
so this leads me to believe i have had a lack of sleep which may be causing it, as one of you mentioned above. i did manage to get 9hours of sleep last night but again noticed the flashes which werent any better than yesterday once i awoke - perhpaps it takes a while of getting good sleep to notice any difference.
i then remembered that i got a headache last night just before sleeping, it was more of a pain on the left side of my head which lasted a couple mins - nothing too painful. and i also remember having a similar head ache the day before on the right side of my head. this leads me to think that it may have something to do with migraines which are mentioned on nsome websites, where the high pressure leads to people seeing flashes. i checked my blood pressure which seems normal, although i just took some asparin (aspirin), in case this is a problem with the migraine, as the asparin (aspirin) thins the blood and prevents any blood clotting.
contrary, the flashes may be present due to a temporary pull on some part of they eye or haemorrhage leading to specs of blood in there, which show up as flashes. in that case i suppose i shouldnt have taken the asparin (aspirin) which would only make the release of blood worse by thinning it?
the flashes seem a lot less right now than this morning - perhaps it just fades during the day. will update tomorrow to let you know if the asparin (aspirin) helped.
I have this thing too, seeing everything fuzzy, staticy, snowy, seeing shapes, flashing lights etc for 3 motnhs now. Any solutions? I have had MRI< VEP< ERG and all normal. It would be great to compare notes.