Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Floaters after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Floaters after cataract surgery

I had cataract surgery and developed floaters a few weeks after the surgery. The floaters initially were dark, thick and slow moving. The doctor checked my eyes and found that everything looks fine - no tears or retinal detachment. The doctor said that the floaters will eventually dissolve, be absorbed and the vision should return to normal. It has been four weeks and the floaters are not as thick and slow moving but rather they are breaking apart and moving very fast within the vitreous. I also notice that they are not as thick as they were before. It's almost like smoke dissipating. The blurriness caused by the floaters is not as bad, but because they are breaking apart or perhaps dissipating, the vision, at times, is somewhat cloudy and hazy. Is this a positive sign. Can the floaters in fact dissolve? How long does this process take place and is it possible to have floaters without PVD?  Thank you for your help.
'Can the floaters in fact dissolve?'

YES.  and 'sink' out of your way...

'How long does this process take place'

usually about 9 months.

'is it possible to have floaters without PVD? '

YES.  very common.
A related discussion, eye floaters was started.
A related discussion, floaters getting tiny was started.