Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Floaters and now worried about flashes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Floaters and now worried about flashes

I am a 23 year old with pretty high myopia (-6.00 and -6.50). A few months ago, they found a retinal tear in my left eye and it was resealed with laser, and the doctor told me it will be fine after a follow up visit. I was also told to be aware of floaters.

After that, I started noticing floaters more, although I am not sure if they are new or old. So after seeing them, I called up the doctor and arranged for him to examine my retina again, and again, he said everything is fine. However after about 3 weeks, not only am I still seeing the floaters, but I "think" I am seeing flashes. It's only one tiny shiney flash at a time though, not like seeing stars. It only happens very rarely, maybe once or twice a day. maximum. Sometimes none in a single day. Is this how flashers are suppose to look like or am I seeing something other than flashers?

Also, I am currently having eye allergies, do they cause floaters?
eye allergies do not cause floaters.

tiny, pinpoint flashes once per day is not what the retinal specialist or anyone means when they say 'flashes'.  real, dangerous flashes look like a camera is going off.  and they dont stop...they happen over and over and over again, not 'once per day'.

everyone has a few floaters in each eye.  you've just been trained to look for them now.  what you should worry about is NEW LARGE floaters.  not tiny ones that you cant tell/remember if they are new or not.

you sound fine to me.  but of course no one will know for sure until someone looks.
When my mother was reading this, she thought I wrote it. I am 22 and have -7.25 and -7.5 myopia. When I went to the doctor for my normal check-up, he said I was at risk for retina tears, come in if I see floaters. A week later, I started seeing floaters and what I thought were "flashes" (just a little flash once in a while). The more I read about retina tear symptoms, the more I thought I had the symptoms. I never saw my definition of "flashes" until I read that flashes were a symptom. I arragned another appointment with my doctor and he said nothing was wrong. I was flipping out. Then I started getting tension headaches because I was so worried about these floaters and "flashes". I was making myself sick because I was so worried. I still am worried at times, but I just say that I will start worrying like this if and when something happens. I can't be so focused on what might happen to my eyes. I am still very protective when it comes to my eyes, but I have to make myself not worry about it. Good luck with everything.
test
A related discussion, floaters and flashes was started.