Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Fluid behind the eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Fluid behind the eye

I have glaucoma, but also a month ago had surgery to remove a cataract on my right eye, the surgery went well and for nearly 3 weeks my sight was fantastic.  A few days ago I woke up and my sight had deteriorated drastically, so much so that I returned to A & E, I have been told I have a build up of pressure behind the eye which is affecting my sight.  I would like to know if this is treatable and will I regain the vision I had directly following the operation.  I was told I need a scan of the back of my eye, is this something that should be done quickly ? I appreciate any answers u may give me
as long as we're not talking about raised intraocular pressure...then "fluid behind the eye" after cataract surgery sounds like you probably have developed "cystoid macular edema".  its farily common after cataract surgery.  to confirm that diagnosis your surgeon will probably perform fluorescein angiography, where they inject dye into your arm and look for the dye to show up in the back of your eye.  if you do in fact have CME, they'll likely put you back on steroid eyedrops and watch you closely.  most cases resolve, but very rarely it can lead to permanent vision loss.
if you have PRESSURE behind your eye, or raised inra-ocular pressure...they could also be talking about glaucoma-related events, in which they would need to do something to LOWER the pressure in your eye further by using more eyedrops or possibly another surgical procedure.
A related discussion, fluid behind the eye was started.
A related discussion, what is macular degeneration with fluid accumulation was started.