Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Halo Effect after Monofocal IOL Implant
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Halo Effect after Monofocal IOL Implant

I just received an monofocal IOL (Acrysof MA60MA -2.0 D 6.0 mm) implant on my right eye yesterday.  However, I recognize a complete colour ring (which I think is halo) when I look at (using my right eye only) a bright object (e.g. the moon) against a dark background.  Such halo also appears when I look at bright lights during the day.  The radius of the halo appears to be several times of that of the bright object, with an apparent red colour in the ring itself which enclose a circular area which is brighter than the background.

On the other hand, my right eye sight has significantly improved after the IOL implant.  I have yet to assess the halo effect on night-time driving.

My doctor told me today that such halo effect, albeit rare for momofocal IOL implant, might be due to internal reflections of the IOL lens which is rather thin in my case (-2.0 D).  Another possible reason is due to some swollen effect of the cornea within the first week of the surgery.  I have yet to see if the halo effect would disappear after a week.

Since I plan to have a similar surgical operation for my left eye which is also suffering from medium cataract and high myopia, I would like to know the best course of action for my left and right eyes, in particular:

(a) what are the possible causes of the halo effect for my right eye after the IOL implant?
(b) whether a different type/model of IOL lens could be used which would avoid such halo effects, and if so, which type/model?  

Thank you very much.