Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Halos, glare, and shadow after cataract surgery -- what to do?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I am 67 years old.  Had a PVD 2+ years ago.  March '06 had a VERY successful floater only vitrectomy.  On Oct 10, '06 had cataract surgery on the same eye.  Surgeon placed a -2 diopter IOL in eye, and it is further corrected with -3.25 glasses prescription.  I now have VERY disturbing halos, streaks and a dark shadow on the outside of the eye.  Plus, I feel somewhat dizzy all the time, and unstable walking.  I have gone back to the doctor, and he says I need to get used to it.  I have read about lens exchanges, but he says they don't do exchanges in his office.  What do I need to know about this condition?  Are exchanges done in these circumstances?
Also, I had a PVD in the other eye about 5 months ago.  The retinal doctor suggests a vitrectomy in that eye also, but wants the cataract removed first, and an IOL implanted before he does the vitrectomy. But, I am very concerned about having the cataract removed and getting halos, shadows, etc. in the second eye.
Needless to say, I am very upset and confused about what to do.  Any help is appreciated.
Peter
exchanges can be done in any circumstance.  you may have multiple docs advise against it, but if you keep asking, someone will exchange it for you.  there are no rules on who can get an exchange and who cant.

this is all going to be personal opinion and assessment of risk/reward.  you're going to have to decide whether the halos/glare/shadows bother you enough to go through the risk of a fairly complicated IOL exchange surgery with no guarantee of relief of your symptoms.  same goes for the vitrectomy/cataract extraction in the other you.
It's not clear what's causing your symptoms (halos, etc.), which sound very debilitating.  Why don't you get additional opinion(s) before deciding on a course of action.  Your retinal specialist would be a good source for referrals.
I'm curious about the amount of risk in an exchange.  I have done some research on the internet, and it appears that exchanges are typically very successful in eliminating the problems I am having.  I don't know what lens the doctor used, but evidently it was not the right lens for me.  I have asked him to tell me the specifics of the lens he used, but he did not tell me the first time I asked.  Should I be more assertive? I assume that is something he should share with me, especially since I am having these problems.  What type of lens is best to eliminate my problems? He did say he used an acrylic lens.  I have read on the internet that silicone lens typically do not cause the degree of problems I am having.  Is that right?  The doctor also said he cannot use a silicone lens for the next cataract surgery, because it will be followed by a vitrectomy.  Again, is that right?

Thanks,

Peter
A related discussion, Ray Willard was started.
A related discussion, IOL Displacement was started.