Eye Care Archive Expert Forum
Headache and bloodshot eyes
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Headache and bloodshot eyes

For the past 2 and 1/2 months I've been having headaches.  Nothing serious, only mild, but consistent, every day, off an on all day long.  About a week after I started having headaches my right eyelid started twitching, followed by the left about a month later.  Well, about 2 weeks ago, I woke up and my eyes were bloodshot, my right eye being the worst.  After I get up and put eyedrops in, about 60% of the redness goes away.  I always take my contacts out at night, and for the past 2 weeks I've been wearing my glasses.  I also visited my optometrist.  He thought I had eye alergies (allergies) and gave me a prescription for Zylet, which hasn't helped at all. He also tested my contact prescription, and they were fine too.  Also, I have NO itching or watering, which I thought was common with eye alergies (allergies).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Related Discussions
hmm.  both eyes being red at the same time is certainly interesting.  unlikely to be infection of any kind, bacterial viral, fungal or otherwise.  the fact that both eyes became red simultaneously is most likely what caused your optometrist to think it was allergies...i'd have probably thought that as well.  although zylet is an antibacterial/steroid combo, not my 1st choice for allergic reaction.

the vast majority of redness in most contact lens wearers is due to the contacts.  old contacts, overworn contacts, allergy to the solution, chronic hypoxia, etc.  my advice is to completely stop all contact lens wear (which you did), continue with the drops as rx'd, and stop using any and all over-the-counter redness drops.  those can and do make these types of inflammations worse, not better.

itching and watering are just really common symptoms of allergies.  i have certainly seen patients with allergic reactions who did not have either itching or watering.

if you dont start looking better after 10 days on the drops, either go back or get a second opinion.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979